Question about Monoflo Tees

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anvilman

Reaction score
A few months ago I replaced all my old black iron piping in the basement that fed cast iron baseboard on the floor above with 3/4” oxygen barrier pex. As part of my basement renovation it had to be removed and relocated as it was rusty and was hanging below the joists. I installed the pex in the same configuration as the black iron all with 3/4” pex including the supply and return for each room. I believe my system is considered a one pipe system. The line from the boiler makes two loops that both feed back into the boiler. From those loops there is a supply and return for the baseboards on the floor above in each room. I made a mistake in not researching enough and install the entire system without any Monoflo tees. However, the system had been up and running for a few months now and it seems the system is running completely normal. Every baseboard in the house gets very hot as they did previously. Once I realized the Monoflo tees we’re not installed I went back and looked at some old pictures I took of the basement before I started the renovation and looked at some of the pipes, and noticed that there were certainly monoflo tees on the black iron. I don’t notice anything different about the system as far as how it performs. The house gets up to temperature just as fast as it did previously the best I can tell. So there are no Monoflo tees whatsoever, only normal tees. About a month and a half ago one section of baseboard cracked open and spewed water all over, luckily I was home and quickly turned everything off and isolated that section of baseboard which was in our bedroom. Then a couple weeks ago in my sons room another crack occurred but this time the crack was smaller and created a continuous drip, thankfully again I was home and quickly shut everything down and isolated that section. So I guess my question is do I need to install Monoflo tees where they are necessary before I finish the sheet rock? And also these cracking radiators have anything to do with having no Monoflo tees? Please refer to my link for video of my system.

Latest posts

Back