Question about cutting abs toilet flange, should I redo the drainline?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhenak

Reaction score
Hi,

I am remodeling my bathroom and am re-enforcing the toilet flange which the screws had rusted off.

I removed the old abs flange by carefully cutting and prying away the welded pipes leaving the 3" 90 pipe.

After dry fitting the new flange I found it was sitting 1" too high With .75 in left to push into the pipe. So I cut off about 1/2 in.

I'm left with only 1/2 lip on the 90. When I glue it in will it make a strong enough bond to stand up to the job?

I can replace the whole line but would need to cut open a wall in the living room. Not ideal and the wife wouldn't be happy having a hole in the wall during the holidays.

If I must replace the line, any reasons I can give the wife? It seems lile it would seal well enough.

what type flange did you buy? there are different types

no, 1'' is not enough, it will come loose and you will be dealing with it later

why? is the floor lower by an 1"

is the floor down yet? throw a sheet of plywood down,

2015-12-07_0436  snap shot.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The floor is down with cement board, slc, and tile. I think I can get access to what I need from below with only a small drywall patching job required.

When adding the layers the new flange(2) were not fitting. the one i am planning on using now is an offset flange with a stainless ring. it goes deeper than the standard which was too short. I tried a coupler on the shorter one and again it was too tall.

I decided to cut it after finding out that both the replacement flanges were incorrect, but now think I may have made a mistake there as the lip is lower than I'd like it to be and I think it will need to be strongly connected to account for any movement that may occur.

With the elbow being cut do I have any options to repair or will I be better off cutting off the elbow and re doing that leg of the drain (sorry I'm not sure on the proper plumber lingo).

Any help would be appreciated.

To repair I can access it from below which is what I fear I may need to do. Ill post a pciture to help illustrate.

Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
maybe...what is the measurement to the pipe with out an offset ?

a regular toilet is set at 12'' from the wall to the center of the drain.

you might get away with buying a 14'' rough bowl.

a 14'' rough can be set on , up to 15.5 '' pipe from wall with out looking to funky

in my opinion, i would rather pay extra for a 14'' rough bowl, than have a offset drain, they tend to flush like ****.

kykyky.jpg

They make a glue free repair flange which uses a rubber sea and fits inside the pipe

Back