Quarter turn valve for toilet turns both ways when installed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uthorns1976

Reaction score
Today, I replaced old compression valve that was frozen with a 1/4 turn Brasscraft valve. Out of the box, it's 1/4 turn only. When installed and the water is turned on and the braided hose is connected to the toilet, the 1/4 turn valve is no longer 1/4 turn. It turns left and right and in the middle it is open for the water to come through but the water doesn't shut off when the valve is in the middle position. How can this be? I installed the same exact valve on another toilet as well and it works fine. How can a quarter turn valve stop being a quarter turn when it is installed? Home was built in 1965. Valve screws onto 1/2" iron pipe. Any help appreciated. I have to leave water off to toiled until this is resolved. Thank you.

I'm no expert, but maybe the new valve is defective. That's my best guess.

Some of these valves look the same but aren't. Are you sure they are the same? Is there a ball or more like a barrel with a hole drilled in it?

Some of these valves look the same but aren't. Are you sure they are the same? Is there a ball or more like a barrel with a hole drilled in it?
I'm pretty sure it's a ball valve. I tried to post a link to the exact valve but it's up to the moderator.

It is a 1/2 in. Compression Inlet x 3/8 in. Compression Outlet 1/4-Turn Angle Valve. The same exact valve works fine on the other two toilets in our home.

Last edited:
The center position is the on position.

To turn it off you turn the handle to the right. It’s stamped into the metal of the handle which way is off.

It should not turn counterclockwise past the 12 o clock position, which is on. Off is at 3o’clock position.

Your valve is either defective or broken.,

The center position is the on position.

To turn it off you turn the handle to the right. It’s stamped into the metal of the handle which way is off.

It should not turn counterclockwise past the 12 o clock position, which is on. Off is at 3o’clock position.

Your valve is either defective or broken.,

It works fine out of the box. 1/4 turn only. After installation, it is off at 9 o'clock position or 3 o'clock position. Twilight zone.

It works fine out of the box. 1/4 turn only. After installation, it is off at 9 o'clock position or 3 o'clock position. Twilight zone.

I have a case of the valves in my shop and just went out and got two.......

Your valve is either defective or broken.

End of discussion for me. Goodbye.

There have been some serious issues with Brasscraft valve, to the point that many professions will bypass them for a better made American product. Maybe a few pennies more, but well worth it in my opinion.

There have been some serious issues with Brasscraft valve, to the point that many professions will bypass them for a better made American product. Maybe a few pennies more, but well worth it in my opinion.
Thank you for that input. Very helpful. My brother got me another type of valve, "old school." Same as the one that was on there. Maybe it will work.

The stop is typically in the knob. Did you take the knob off when installing it? And possibly put it back on upside down - or turn the stem past the stop with the knob off?

The stop is typically in the knob. Did you take the knob off when installing it? And possibly put it back on upside down - or turn the stem past the stop with the knob off?

All good questions, but this particular valve you can’t put the handle on wrong. It’s indexed.

The valve is machined to not allow the handle and the stem to be misaligned and the handle engage.

I have one on my desk and just took it apart to check it.

No to all of the above. My brother and I are totally baffled by this.

All good questions, but this particular valve you can’t put the handle on wrong. It’s indexed.

The valve is machined to not allow the handle and the stem to be misaligned and the handle engage.

I have one on my desk and just took it apart to check it.
Is it possible that the problem could be that the valve is not threaded onto the iron pipe straight? Could that cause this strange behavior??

My brother bought an old school valve that is not quarter turn but we have not messed with that after yesterday's plumbing debacle that I posted here in another thread.

If I was going to be remaining here in the future, I would install 3 new toilets but I'm not going to that expense now. All three of our current are the same model...Kohler Wellworth K-4436. I think I would replace with old school toilets with flapper in the tank.

Good idea to replace the valve with your “ old school “ valve. I think you’ll be fine.

Back