PVC to Copper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpe04

Reaction score
I want to tie some new PVC into an existing 3" DWV Copper system. Would taking the plug out of the Copper cleanout and replacing it with a male PVC fitting be an acceptable method? Or is a Fernco a better way to make the transition.

A fernco is the best way to go. Make sure you get a PVC to copper one though.

I want to tie some new PVC into an existing 3" DWV Copper system. Would taking the plug out of the Copper cleanout and replacing it with a male PVC fitting be an acceptable method? Or is a Fernco a better way to make the transition.

You can connnect to the C/O , but add another cleanout so you can still clean the line if needed.
Fernco are not always the best way. If it is the type with just hose clamps on neoprene cylinder. I don't recommend them.
The type with a stainless steel band that wraps around the neoprene is better.
The pipe can shift and not stay proberly aligned with the fernco.

fernco.jpg

images.jpg

Last edited:
One other thing to keep in mind is that drainage fittings are supposed to guide the waste in the direction of flow to reduce the likelihood of clogs or of backward drainage. Many cleanout tees do not do this.

One other thing to keep in mind is that drainage fittings are supposed to guide the waste in the direction of flow to reduce the likelihood of clogs or of backward drainage. Many cleanout tees do not do this.

This was my concern. I thought that the cleanout might be a restriction and I also wasn't sure if the male PVC threads would match the copper. But it would have been a nice straight run to go that route.

Back