PVC sewer line to cast iron hub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon33

Reaction score
20191109_173613.jpg I am working on my grandparents upstairs bathroom as their toilet leaked down through into the living room. The old toilet was lead pipe and tied into the cast iron stack. I removed all the old piping and am trying to install new 4" pvc (sch 40) and use a fernco 4" donut to join the pvc and cast iron hub. Problem is I leak tested everything and I get leaking between the bottom of the rubber donut and the cast hub. I'm concerned that the donut doesnt get a good seal against the cast. The house has all original and was possibly built in the early 1900s I'm assuming. My question are there any sealants (i.e. silicone) that I can use to put around the rubber donut to help it seal with the cast iron or what other solutions would be suggested... they really dont want me to take out the stack and replace with pvc but not sure what other options there would be if I cant get it to seal or cant use a sealant to help ... i appreciate any suggestions. See attached photos

Attachments

• 20191109_173620.jpg
    20191109_173620.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20191109_134603.jpg
    20191109_134603.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 16
Thank you for the recommendation! Do you know of a tool to bevel the sch40 pvc pipe end?

Thanks again

I think any old flat file will bevel the pvc edge.

Just enough bevel so that a hard cut edge does not try to dig into the gasket as it goes in.

I use a trim router with a 22.5-degree, bearing guided, edge bevel bit.

But, I already owned the router and bits, and was working on 15-inch water lines when I came up with the router as a solution to hand beveling the large PVC pipe.

It would take a laborer about ten minutes to do a good bevel, and we were doing ten or so a shift. It doesn’t take too many nights of 100 to 120-minutes at prevailing rate, to cover the cost of the router.

Latest posts

Back