PVC Repair Coupling VS. Fernco Coupling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdm

Reaction score
I am current in process of converting my empty basement into something more enjoyable. I have reached the point where I want to put up the walls of the bathroom. Before I can do this I need to put in the rough in plumbing connection for the bathroom. I have to cut the basement floor to get to the main sewer line to join the drain lines from the bathroom to the main sewer line. Once the floor is cut and I have access to the main sewer line I plan on inserting a necessary 3 way fitting into the main line. My problem is this, there will not be any play with the main line to get a 3-way fitting place and I need to use some type of coupling. What type of coupling? If I use the Fernco coupling can this be put into the ground and cemented over. And is there anything special that needs to be done to it before I do so. Or do I user a PVC repair coupling. However I read nothing but hoar stories when people have tried to use this with the glue drying to fast and not being able to get the coupling in place. That or they get it in place but it ends up leaking. Other people thoughts and experiences are welcome at this point.

Last edited:
You should never put a fernco in the ground. Fernco fittings will sag and cause backups. You should use husky bands to make connections or mission bands. The ground is constantly moving and fernco bands do not have the rigidity to stay in place. Husky bands are expensive but will never fail.

You should never put a fernco in the ground. Fernco fittings will sag and cause backups. You should use husky bands to make connections or mission bands. The ground is constantly moving and fernco bands do not have the rigidity to stay in place. Husky bands are expensive but will never fail.

Fernco coupling are approved for under ground. Were there not approved is were they can't be supported on both ends. Like in a vertical position.

Just because they are approved does not mean it is a proper installation. I remove underground fernco bands all the time due to pipe shifting. It is better to use a band that wont move. I warranty my work for ten years so i make sure i dont go back. You get whst you pay for. Just do it right. It is like putting a telescopic pvc fitting in the ground. They dont last. The ground is always moving.

Back