PVC drain extention to metal drain and P-trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandywjo

Reaction score
We will need a drain extension tube when the new pedestal sink is installed. We are using a Metal drain and all metal 1 1/4 Chrome Plated Brass 17 gauge P-trap. We want metal P-trap because part of the P-trap will be exposed.
So here is my question:
Since the drain and extension parts will not show, would it be ok to use a PVC extension tube off the metal drain and then follow up with the all metal P-trap? I have heard it can be done but not exactly sure if this all attaches the exact same as if it were all metal, or if there are different things we would need to do to attach the PVC on both ends to the metals? I have attached a picture of the kind of drain tube extension we are looking at.

If I could find a tube cutter for the 1 1/4 17 guage Brass extension tube that wasn't too expensive, I might still go that route. But I have had a hard time finding them, and the ones I did were expensive and it seems PVC cutters are much cheaper and the PVC is easier to cut as well.
Any thoughts?

And one last question, as it has been 15 years since I installed other plumbing and need a reminder. When connecting the Brass P-trap pieces together, are you suppose to use some kind of pipe dope? Or do they all just screw together. Thanks again for your time if you can help!

Recently Updated53.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back