Putty sub for black stone sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveNathan

Reaction score
I'm having to replace the drain basket/strainer in a thick black stone sink. The replacement is on it's way (Rohl 735), and I'd like to use something other than beige plumbers putty, and thought this black silicone would work. Figured I should ask some real plumbers first.
Any issues with this stuff?

Attachments

• Permatex.jpg
    Permatex.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
Depends on how thick it has to be.
The new basket just arrived & in the installation instructions it actually says “do not use Blue RTV silicone “. They recommend using the supplied, very thin styrofoam gasket. I could use some black 30 minute set, (non-RTV) silicone. That styrofoam gasket seems awfully flimsy.

As an FYI, all commonly available silicone products are RTV, or “room temperature vulcanization.”

Blue RTV in their instructions probably refers to the product popularized by Permatex, specifically formulated for replacement of cut gaskets, most commonly found in the automotive industry.

The last new drain I installed came with one of those foam gaskets and I didn’t have any issues. It was included with a new disposal. It replaced the old drain assembly which used gobs of clear silicone. This was on a porcelain enameled cast iron sink, however, not stone.

If you use something other than what they supply and it stains the finish of the sink they will not warranty it. I personally would never use any type of adhesive in case it needed to be replaced in the future. I have encountered several kitchen sinks that were set with liquid nails and it wasn't fun

The new basket just arrived & in the installation instructions it actually says “do not use Blue RTV silicone “. They recommend using the supplied, very thin styrofoam gasket. I could use some black 30 minute set, (non-RTV) silicone. That styrofoam gasket seems awfully flimsy.
I’d throw that basket drain away and get one I could use silicone on.

So I talked to the manufacturer today & they said silicone will corrode the brass that this basket is made of, &/or could damage the ORB finish. The tech suggested I go with plumbers putty & clean it back as tight as I can. I’ve tried to find dark putty but no luck.

I'm told that RTV Silicone comes in Acetoxy and Oxime formulations. It's the released acid in the Acetoxy type that damages brass. The oxime, or "Neutral cure" type will not, and it comes in black. Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help an amateur.

Latest posts

Back