pumping holding tank into existing septic tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brunolund

Reaction score
thinking of installing a holding tank for an rv to dump into. Inlaws will be living in it. would there be any issue with pumping a 300g holding tank into my existing septic tank so it can then go out to leech field? or will it overwhelm my septic tank and overflow the solid side? I could set it to pump about 50g at a time with the float switch if that would be better. let me know your thoughts. I'm

The smaller the amount that pumps into the tank at one time, the better. That will allow more time for the solids to settle out in the septic tank.

Is there no way that you can set it up so that the sewage flows into the tank directly from the RV?

I like phishfood's idea, but first you would need to make sure that your septic tank has sufficient capacity to handle the additional water usage from the RV. I'm assuming it would count as one additional room. You could contact your local dept of health to find out what size septic tank you have (from permit records) and find out how many rooms that supports (generally septic tank size is determined by the number of bedrooms in a house because it is assumed to reflect the number of occupants).

If the tank is large enough, you could probably try to find a way to have the RV sewage hook directly in to your sewage system and bypass the holding tank.

I know in the city, the trailer parks have it set up so the trailers can drain to the city sewage system. It is probably a similar setup with an RV.

Although, if you do contact dept of health, it is something you can ask them about as a hypothetical situation.

the problem with running it directly is it will be 250' to the tank. not enough elevation either. have another thought about a second septic tank and running it to my field, but don't know if I can pump two septic tanks to one field. I will start another post for that one.

Latest posts

Back