Pump from garage to cottage septic

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djb633

Reaction score
Hi all
I have built a garage about 100' from my cottage and want to put a toilet and sink on second floor, I was thinking about putting a Little Giant system on the main floor and pumping underground ( when the garage was built I had a 4" pipe installed through floor and out to the side) to the cottage and then up to the cottage main 4" line to drain to the septic tank.

I cannot get below the frost line so I know freezing will be an issue, this washroom will not be used in the winter. I was thinking that at the end of the season flushing many times to get all the sewage to the cottage pipe and then flushing some septic safe antifreeze downs the drain to prevent pump from freezing. ( could also remove pump).

I was also thinking of using 2" polyethylene for the discharge pipe to help decrease pipe damage from freezing. Where the pipe goes under the cottage to the main line is heated .

If any plumbers out there could critique my plan or give any other ideas it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Why go thru all that drama?
Your pump connects with a union
Unplug the pump from electrical, disconnect union and pull the pump
when you return to the cottage, reconnect the pump

That's all fine but what I'm talking about is that the water in the line after the pump to the cottage that will freeze ( the pump stops when the float drops it doesn't keep going until the line is cleared.

can you cut a tee in, with a 1/2'' ball valve
attach a air hose and blow the line

I am not comfortable with antifreeze being used in your sewer line
I am not worried about the environmental aspect of it.
it is the critters in the septic tank that can be killed off and this is very bad ju ju for the septic system
the critters need to be kept happy and healthy

I had thought about blowing it out, I have a wet sauna about a hundred feet away that I blow the line out for the winter but it is only 3/4". I wasn't sure that I could blow a 2" line out. It only has a slight uphill climb to the cottage but then it will rise about three feet to join the main 4" line to the septic.

As for the helpful critters, before I winterized the cottage I had used septic safe antifreeze in my toilets and sink drains and have always had a healthy septic.

Thanks

A 2'' line can be blown out. you do not need to completely empty it of water

ice swells up then when it has no place it cracks the pipe. if a pipe has open ends
which gives the ice a place to go. it will not crack

I was not aware of septic safe antifreeze, i will have to look into that, Good info to know, thanks for the education

A 2'' line can be blown out. you do not need to completely empty it of water

ice swells up then when it has no place it cracks the pipe. if a pipe has open ends
which gives the ice a place to go. it will not crack

I was not aware of septic safe antifreeze, i will have to look into that, Good info to know, thanks for the education

Thanks for the info, I didn't think I could blow out the 2" line. I guess I will have the one end open under the cottage but the other end closest to the pump will have a check valve on it that would stop the ice from moving that way.

How about using poly instead abs pipe to help decrease the chances of the abs pipe and fitting from cracking? I was also thinking of running the pipe through a big O pipe but have heard pros and cons about that.

Latest posts

Back