PRV Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goof99

Reaction score
The PRV I installed leaks or weeps whichever. The pan underneath holds 2 cups and it filled up about 3 times in 24 hours so that's about 1-1/2 qt per day. Not much actual water maybe but it isn't supposed to leak.

You can see the leak stain pattern on the tail pieces.

The "O" ring is 4/32 thick and its groove is 2/32 thick so it sticks up 2/32 and that is not enough. The tailpiece can bottom out on the barrel of the PRV (not sure what that part is named). It should not do that either.

Possibly it is simpler to install than the flat washer type but I didn't find that to be true.

To me this is a design that looks good on paper but just is not. I can't help wondering if a good practical engineer (or expert plumber) would have let this pass. Perhaps one wasn't consulted or got worn down by interdepartmental warfare. Been there on that.

PRV Drip Pan.jpg.jpg

PRV -2 001 Leak Patern.jpg

PRV -2 002 O-Ring.jpg

Did the valve come with a small packet of silicone grease. The o-ring may be twisting when tightening the nut, try a little silicone grease.

Does it leak from both sides -- Are you using a wrench or hand tighten ?

Back