ProPex expandable pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Another-Plumber

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
i was reading on the pipe it says 100psi @ 100 degs.... this cant be right, anyone have problems with this pipe, cuz i wanna push hard with this product..

200 degrees F at 80 psi, 180 degrees F at 100 psi and 73.4 degrees F at 160 psi.

is this a problem? let say the customer turns the water heater up all the way, will this be an issue

no, because even if they could set the hot water tank for 200' F ( which they cant ) they would still be good for the maximum allowable pressure inside the building ( 80 psi )

So the pipe is in fact overkill.

Last edited:
I will add Just STAY AWAY FROM BRASS FITTINGS.... plastic had no reported failures, brass though it would seem a better choice has many, and I;ve been to a place where a fitting burst... 1 million dollar house, expensive water damage due to cheaply made brass fitting.

someone texted me and needs help on a repipe next week they said it was in apex, i texted back and asked if it was steel pipe? or pex type A..... he said he didnt know yet, lol

im going to a Pro-Pex class on tuesday morning, if anyone has any questions about this expandable pipe, send them and ill ask...

I ve often wanted to ask a supplier if the rings ARE in fact just the next size up in pipe cut to length ( Id bet a bazillion dollars this is true ). I have done a test with a 3/4 pipe cut and slipped over a 1/2 " pipe and expanded and then pressurized. not that id really want to cut every ring but In a pinch would it void a warranty ? does the supplier actually claim this Expandable ring to be of differernt construction than the pipe?

I worked as a sub for a general contractor where Wirsbo propex was used. A few thousand fittings in a five story apartment building and only a handful of leaks when tested. There was no clear evidence as to why some of the fittings leaked, but it's been about 4 years and I've heard no complaints. I believe APex is pex that is rated and used for hydronic heating systems.

Wirsbo would leak if it were expanded using the hand tool or the air tool if the installer did not rotate the head while expanding... the grove in the head would leave a barely recognizablle channel in the pipe.

Back