Propex EP Fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveh3134

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm doing a project using Uponor Propex, and I'm mostly using the EP fittings. I'm doing my project in phases, getting as much ready as I can, and won't be doing the final go-live for another couple of weeks, so I'm not able to test any of my connections, etc. at this point. I have two questions about the EP fittings and would greatly appreciate any answers anyone can provide.

1 - Is it common to be able to "move" the EP fittings in the pex after they're installed? If I apply a lot of force, I can basically twist the EP fitting in the pex. It's not easy, but I can do it. The fittings seem to be in tight in the sense that I can't pull it out of the pex and the expansion ring is right up against the shoulder of the fitting. These are fittings that I let sit for a day or so with the ring on, so it's not like they are "over-expanded" and haven't had a chance to tighten up yet. Has anyone experienced this? Is it anything to worry about?

2 - Why do they say you can re-use a brass fitting but not an EP fitting? As a test, I took one of my EP connections apart using the recommended method: apply heat with a gun, slice off the ring, heat the pex, and pull it off of the fitting. I used a knife and cut the ring off making sure I was cutting away from the fitting so as not to scratch, nick or gouge it. After I did this, I looked closely at the fitting and it looked like new. What is the issue with re-using an EP fitting if you have not damaged it when taking the connection apart? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help in advance.

- Steve

I have done messed up a few times and was able to safely re use plastic fittings. Just be sure not to nick the barbed portion

Thanks Matt. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully no leaks when I turn the water on.

Back