Propane gas line in fireplace

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mliers

Reaction score
It looks like at one point they had a flush mounted ignitor in the wood burning fireplace with a shut off valve key. They must have extended it up and had some type of gas insert or something and was removed. The valve is off and the extension is capped. Is it safe to go ahead and have a fire or does this pipe need to be removed? I do have a grate that will clear it. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20211029_112022.jpg
    20211029_112022.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211029_112033.jpg
    20211029_112033.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
Propane is a much more dangerous gas than natural gas. That’s my opinion.

I’d for sure cap it off at the source.

Propane is heavier than the atmosphere. It will pool in a cavity like water will.

Natural gas is lighter than atmosphere allowing small leaks to rise and hopefully dissipate. The same leak with propane might fill a low area and wait for a source of ignition.

Definitely appreciate the advice so far. I will see if I can access the line from the basement somewhere and see if I can cap it further away. We also use propane for a stove and hot water heaters so who knows.

Definitely appreciate the advice so far. I will see if I can access the line from the basement somewhere and see if I can cap it further away. We also use propane for a stove and hot water heaters so who knows.

Yeah, I realize people use it. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, I’m just saying I wouldn’t 🤣.

I’m for freedom 👍

Back