Problems with citation brass single handle shower valves - no hot water.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poe

Reaction score
I am renovating a condo that has sat unused for a couple of years. I have hot water every where except the two showers. These are single handle valves with the built in stops. Both hot and cold stops are wide open. Any help would be appreciated! I don't know the model numbers.

You are probably going to have to take it apart. Remove the cartridge.

Remove the cover and expose what you can
Post a picture .
MAYBE someone can help.

I have taken the cartridge out ( the one behind the handle ). Everything looks normal. Both stops are wide open. I took the nut or plug loose on the right side of the housing. It was attached and wouldn't come completely out. ???

1466710635915-130244685.jpg

I answered this earlier but just before I posted it, I lost it. :mad:

Small cap to right that you could not remove is probably the balance spool.
Early designs of balance valves like the MOENTROL had a separate spool.
Could be that the O-rings are sticking to the sides making it a little harder to pull out.

Look for a balance spool for that fixture. They probably only made one.
See what it looks like. May help you figure out what it is you have to pull out.

Thanks for your help. I'll check further tomorrow. If I have any luck, I'll post it. Maybe it will help someone else.

Ok folks, sorry I've been so long responding. I ended up replacing one shower valve which involved repairing tile work, etc. I decided to take everything apart one more time before I replaced the other valve. I inspected the balancing valve / spool once more and discovered there is an inner sleeve that was stuck. I worked it loose and applied some plumber's grease to it and is working fine. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure I could have fixed the other one.....Oh well! Lesson learned!

Back