Problem with Dual Showerhead Water Temperature

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a home and the dual shower has hot water issues. There are two heads (one overhead and one handheld - see photos below). Both have temperature controls on them. The overhead gets up to about 102 degrees on its own, but we like our showers a little hotter than that.

If I then turn on the handheld shower head (no matter the water temp I set it to) to then the water temp of the overhead will get hot (up to 130 - this might be because the plumber temporarily disabled the scald guard on just the overhead). Of course this is way to hot, but I can then adjust the overhead to a good temp from there.

If I turn off the handheld then the overhead will cool back down again to 102. The handheld on its own can also get up to 130 at it's maximum.

So basically I can adjust the temp on the handheld to an enjoyable water temp, but I can't do that for the overhead unless the handheld is on. (The handheld can be cold or hot and the overhead will still get considerably hotter.)

I'm hoping there is a simple fix that doesn't involve completely tearing out the plumbing and I don't want to spend the rest of our lives turning on two heads and pointing one away so that we can get the overhead shower to an enjoyable temperature. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

Jim

IMG_20220218_072023.jpgIMG_20220218_072037.jpgIMG_20220218_072029.jpg

Replace the cartridge in the main valve. ( last pic )

If that doesn’t work then your plumber has made some sort of piping error.

How did he disable the scald feature ? You mean he didn’t install the temp limiter in the handle ?

Last edited:
He was at our house to fix the hot water heater and just looked at the shower quick, (popped the handle off and adjusted the ring so it could get hotter).

In your opening post above you say both heads have temperature control on them.

That’s not what you have pictured.

You only have one temperature controller. That temp should serve all functions of your shower.

You have a diverter pictured to control to what shower function you select or combination of shower functions. The diverter can’t control temp.

Sorry. I learned some things since my last post.

The knob for the handheld shower can spin 360 degrees. When it's pointing straight down then the overhead shower won't get up to max temp. If it's pointed in any other direction then the overhead shower will get up to max temp.

For the handheld it also won't turn on unless it's pointed anywhere from 9 o'clock to 3'oclock. So if we turn it off but don't point it straight down at 6 o'clock the overhead is great. I could live with that.

Here's the secondary problem though, the handheld will give you scalding water if you point it between 9'oclock and 12 o'clock. At 12 o'clock it turns off and then from just beyond 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock it's freezing cold.

How do we fix the handheld so we can adjust the temp or just get the same temp as the overhead?

Jim

In your opening post above you say both heads have temperature control on them.

That’s not what you have pictured.

You only have one temperature controller. That temp should serve all functions of your shower.

You have a diverter pictured to control to what shower function you select or combination of shower functions. The diverter can’t control temp.

I believe you have a piping error.

With the red circled handle off, can you turn the yellow handle and get flow ? You shouldn’t be able to.

248C513D-9C46-4BE4-8006-D44DDA061936.jpeg

Yes, we can get flow to the yellow without the red being on.

Jim

It’s piped wrong. It’ll never be right until you correct the piping.

Whoever piped it installed constant water pressure to the diverter. You can’t do that because the diverter can’t regulate temperature or volume.

I installed my shower with separate faucets at each end. I was single at the time and it paid off for me many times.

Very smart, but not often done! Went to my builder's home he's building for himself, and the wife wanted three heads in the shower: handheld, conventional, and overhead "rain style". Thankfully HIS plumber said the only way to get sufficient water pressure was three separate valve bodies. So, that's what they did. I've seen plenty in inspections where regardless of the number of heads, there's one valve body...

You may need different temps at each head too: in this situation the rain head is on a 10' ceiling. Water would get cooler falling down to a petite 5' woman in that shower...

<...> HIS plumber said the only way to get sufficient water pressure was three separate valve bodies. So, that's what they did. I've seen plenty in inspections where regardless of the number of heads, there's one valve body...
<...>.

I'm looking into a 3-outlet shower. Apparently, 2 or 3, even 4 can be driven at once by some valves. That type seems to want 3/4" pipe for H & C inlets (supply).

I'm looking into a 3-outlet shower. Apparently, 2 or 3, even 4 can be driven at once by some valves. That type seems to want 3/4" pipe for H & C inlets (supply).

Just a WAG here, but I bet that a single shower/tub valve body that can pass 5-6 GPM through multiple outlets will cost significantly more than say, three common Delta valve bodies that run around $35 each...and will you be able to find parts for this super high flow, multiple take-off valve body, when you will eventually need them some years from now? Just a thought...

Just a WAG here, but I bet that a single shower/tub valve body that can pass 5-6 GPM through multiple outlets will cost significantly more than say, three common Delta valve bodies that run around $35 each...and will you be able to find parts for this super high flow, multiple take-off valve body, when you will eventually need them some years from now? Just a thought...
Might need to upgrade the water heater 🤭

Might need to upgrade the water heater 🤭
HA! Are you ever right on that one! One of my friends said, "The best part of a tankless water heater is you have endless hot water!" He followed that by "The worst part of a tankless is you have endless hot water".

Apparently with teenagers and a tank style water heater, you have a built in timer to limit their showers. In a tankless, you do not...

Back