Preventing frozen pipe.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbonham

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - Need some suggestions. We have an "open to the weather" breezeway from the house to the garage. In the ceiling of the breezeway we need to run a cold water line. We are in Indiana so we have some severe freezing. Any thoughts on how to keep this pipe from freezing? I know about heat tape, but wondered if there are any other ideas. I've also been told that PEX is more freeze tolerant than copper, galvanized, or PVC. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Jack

PEX does have great expansion and contraction abilities, but if and when it fails, it is usually in the coupling, which doesn't have these abilities. I would recommend no couplings in the breezeway, and only place the couplings for the PEX in an insulated area. And of course, it sure wouldn't hurt to wrap the PEX in insulation on any exterior wall and in the breezeway.

PEX will freeze it just has a less chance of bursting. If your putting the line in a unheated area it can freeze. If you wrap a pipe in 10" of insulation and put it outside in below freezing temperatures it will freeze. Insulation doesn't create heat. You need some type of heat source to prevent it from freezing.

John

Thanks, guys. So, is the consensus that pex can freeze solid without splitting? I'd already considered that the fittings would be the weak point and will try to keep these in heated spaces. Are Shark Bites "heartier"?

I get the concept of insulation - if the water in my pipe is 45 degrees, then the insulation merely slows the loss of the heat. Any suggestions on a super pipe insulation? I am not limited (within reason) in the amount of space I have for insulating.

Any thoughts on the reliability of the heat tape? Do I have choices of types? Is there something more "professional grade"?

Thanks for your expertise!

Back