Pressure tank pressure setting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enduroman

Reaction score
I just had a plumber here for another issue, and he said in passing that I should confirm my pressure tank pressure is 2 PSI below cut-out pressure. My well system operates between 40 and 60 PSI so does that mean the tank pressure should sit at 58 psi? Just checking. Any tricks to pressurizing it perfectly? When my pump cuts out at about 61 PSI it makes an abrupt jump, and settles at about 59 psi.
( i'm sure this question has been answered 100 times on this forum, but after an hour of reading some fascinating threads, I'm starting to think I need to rebuild my entire system, which is working fine! Funny how that happens. )

Like Die and She said, 38 psi air with pump off and water drained from tank.

Your check valve is wearing out from too much cycling, which is causing the thump and drop in pressure at pump stop. Adding a CSV1A can solve both of those problems.

Excellent information, thank you very much!

yes, I should probably consider a cycle stop valve, but I am trying to not spend money on this system, as we are due for city water in possibly the next year.

The check valve ... is that likely at the outlet of the pump, down in the well? How difficult would that be to change? Well is shallow I believe <60'. Might be easier and cheaper than installing a CSV short term??? Or maybe not necessary.

The check valve ... is that likely at the outlet of the pump, down in the well? How difficult would that be to change? Well is shallow I believe <60'. Might be easier and cheaper than installing a CSV short term??? Or maybe not necessary.

You will still need to replace the check valve on the pump. The CSV would just keep you from wearing out the new check valve as well as everything else in the pump system.

Latest posts

Back