Pressure Regulator Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffL

Reaction score
Several years ago we had our water heater replaced. At the time, the plumber said that our regulator wasn't working and he replaced it. It could have been not working for decades but I never had a problem from the high pressure. About a week ago, I bought pressure gauge (I don't know why I waited so long to get one). I measured the pressure at a hose bib in front of the regulator and it read 100psi. I checked the pressure at hose bib behind the house which I know is after the regulator, and it read 100psi there too. I figured that this newer regulator was toast. Again, I don't know how long ago it went bad and I don't have any problems in the house. Just for grins, I tried adjusting it, thinking it wouldn't help since it was beyond the 75psi upper limit. As I suspected, I still got 100psi at the rear hose bib. The weird thing is, I checked the pressure at the bathroom basin, and found that the adjustment had made a huge difference. I had to readjust the regulator to bring the pressure up to around 60psi at the basin. Any idea why the adjustment affected the bathroom faucet but not the hose bib?

their is no tellling how your house is plumbed.

depends on the plumber and what the original owner wanted.

if the house has or had a water softner, all the hose bibs might/ should be tied into together before the softner

maybe....just guessing, i dunno

I know the hose bib setup. The supply line comes out of the ground to a tee. One side of the tee goes right to a hose bib and my irrigation supply line (which also supplies a couple of hose bibs). The other side of tee connects to the regulator. After that, the pipe goes under the house. The hose bib that I said was at the back of the house comes out from under the house. It has to be on the regulated line. There is no other water source running under the house. I build the irrigation system myself so I know what is on that line.

The house was re-piped with copper, probably 20 years ago. I replaced the unregulated galvanized irrigation supply pipes with copper a few years ago. Even so, I don't know why a blocked pipe would not show a change in pressure at a hose bib that is on the regulated side when the regulator is adjusted, but the bathroom pressure does change.

Latest posts

Back