Pressure booster with a jet pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pictures and drawings. I see your problem. No you can't put the pump up at the house, as a shallow well jet pump can lift a max of about 24' at sea level. You will need to push the water up, not suck it up. The 30' of elevation and the 20' to the top of the house add 50' or 20 PSI to the total head. That pump is probably working with a 30/50 pressure switch, which means you are seeing between 10 and 30 PSI on the top floor. I don't think I could run around in the shower fast enough to get wet. Lol!

You can put a submersible in the lake and have as much pressure as you want. Or you can replace that pump with one that has a max pressure of 80 PSI, like the J15S I recommended. You could set the pressure switch to 50/70, which would give you 30 to 50 on the top floor. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve would give you a constant 40 PSI on the top floor, which is 400% stronger pressure than you have now.

Another option is a multi-stage booster pump like a Goulds 10GB10, 1HP. These pumps are basically just a multi-stage submersible pump end with a jet pump type motor. As with a submersible out in the pond, you can have as much pressure as you want. The 10GB10 would work with a pressure switch setting of 80/100, which would give you 60/80 at the house and a constant 70 using the CSV1A. With 70 PSI constant in the shower you will not even need to ever clean the grout again. :)

I have done systems like this up to 400 PSI, when the house is on top of a 800' tall mountain. This is why I always complain about people complaining they don't have good pressure like in a city. It is your water system. You can have as much pressure as you want. Just need enough of a pump to make it happen.

Ok great, and thanks. I ordered the recommended 1.5 hp goulds pump and the cvs kit which will be at house level. I had them preset it to 50/70 and they said it would be great but I would just have to bypass the pumps pressure guage settings.

You've been a huuuge help and saved us a lot of money. Looks like a great setup!

Call if you need help and let us know how it works.

Had one more question. When I ordered the CSV kit, she said to disable or bypass the pressure switch on the pump since the valve will be preset to 50/70. I'm not sure how to do this. She mentioned a gauge after the pump or to just hardwire the two together? I think thats what I remember. Is this something that is hard to do?

Thanks a lot

Nope. It is easy. Just using the existing pressure switch as a junction box to connect the wires from the switch in the PK1A to the motor wires. Don't have to move or do anything to the existing switch. See this diagram under "jet pump".

wiring diagram.jpg

Back