Press tool: Ridgid vs Milwaukee

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes,the company I work for has multiple unit
They all work well some are capable of using the mega press style jaws, will do steel, stainless steel, someone else on the forum may have inside on Milwaukee, some of the guys own their own Milwaukee tools and I haven't heard of any complaints

Assuming you're looking for a copper/gas press tool and just not PEX alone?

Been waiting for our next rehab project to "pull the trigger" on a press tool. Have done a ton of research but the short of it all is Milwaukee (unless you are going with a proprietary brand like Veiga (which are a little less expensive but a whole new battery format), is the way to go.

Ridgid (orange tools), Milwaukee & RYOBI are all owned by the same company - ITT. Ridgid (red tools) is owned by Emerson. The M18 version (2922-20 - no jaws) has the most compatibility and will press up to 4" copper/gas (BIP)/stainless, 2" PEX and has jaws for refrigeration lines too. The M12 version (2473) will only do up to 3/4" for gas (BIP) and no refrigeration jaws. This is the same format as the Ridgid 241 - all of the ones above are "in-line" tools which have the most "space" flexibility. (side note: there are some who are complaining about the M12 versions not working (not fully crimping) in cold temps (after it's sat in the truck overnight).

For us we do residential work and the M12 would do for copper but we occasionally have 1" gas (BIP) and only the M18 will handle that.

I attached the (Milwaukee) compatibility chart if it helps.

Attachments

• 2021 Press Solutions Guide.pdf
    14.5 MB · Views: 10
A necessity for copper work is the multi-angle compact kit. Never use the 1-1/4" but find the rest indispensable in tight spots or rehab.
Ridgid 28043 1/2-Inch to 1-1/4-Inch

Assuming you're looking for a copper/gas press tool and just not PEX alone?

Been waiting for our next rehab project to "pull the trigger" on a press tool. Have done a ton of research but the short of it all is Milwaukee (unless you are going with a proprietary brand like Veiga (which are a little less expensive but a whole new battery format), is the way to go.

Ridgid (orange tools), Milwaukee & RYOBI are all owned by the same company - ITT. Ridgid (red tools) is owned by Emerson. The M18 version (2922-20 - no jaws) has the most compatibility and will press up to 4" copper/gas (BIP)/stainless, 2" PEX and has jaws for refrigeration lines too. The M12 version (2473) will only do up to 3/4" for gas (BIP) and no refrigeration jaws. This is the same format as the Ridgid 241 - all of the ones above are "in-line" tools which have the most "space" flexibility. (side note: there are some who are complaining about the M12 versions not working (not fully crimping) in cold temps (after it's sat in the truck overnight).

For us we do residential work and the M12 would do for copper but we occasionally have 1" gas (BIP) and only the M18 will handle that.

I attached the (Milwaukee) compatibility chart if it helps.
Yes, copper/gas press tool for residential work

Very nice. Thank you for your input.

The Ridgid RP 241:
Cost a little less than Milwaukee
Includes jaws from 1/2" to 1-1/4", unlike the Milwaukee M12 (1/2" to 1")
Go up to 1-1/2" on PEX, same as MIlwaukee M12
Go up to 3/4 on Iron Pipe, Same as Milwaukee M12
Other features of the Ridgid (Bluetooth, Cycle time, Compression force, Calibration interval) appear to be the same as the Milwaukee.
NOTE: Ridgid RP-241 is about 3" longer and a pound heavier than the Milwaukee M12

@PrecisionPlum - agreed, if you never have gas over 3/4", it's a no-brainer! Our (whole) decision came down to occasionally having the (+/-)1" gas to deal with. Plus, we already (as I'm sure most do) have tools using the M12 & M18 batteries and do not have any (cordless) Ridgid tools, so that is pushing us in the Milwaukee direction too. Also, (and the price dictates it, but) the M18 press has a much longer service interval (50k), and 33% more clamp pressure.

@PrecisionPlum - agreed, if you never have gas over 3/4", it's a no-brainer! Our (whole) decision came down to occasionally having the (+/-)1" gas to deal with. Plus, we already (as I'm sure most do) have tools using the M12 & M18 batteries and do not have any (cordless) Ridgid tools, so that is pushing us in the Milwaukee direction too. Also, (and the price dictates it, but) the M18 press has a much longer service interval (50k), and 33% more clamp pressure.
I understand being consistent with tool manufactures.

Yes, copper/gas press tool for residential work

Very nice. Thank you for your input.

The Ridgid RP 241:
Cost a little less than Milwaukee
Includes jaws from 1/2" to 1-1/4", unlike the Milwaukee M12 (1/2" to 1")
Go up to 1-1/2" on PEX, same as MIlwaukee M12
Go up to 3/4 on Iron Pipe, Same as Milwaukee M12
Other features of the Ridgid (Bluetooth, Cycle time, Compression force, Calibration interval) appear to be the same as the Milwaukee.
NOTE: Ridgid RP-241 is about 3" longer and a pound heavier than the Milwaukee M12
The only problem I had with the same exact Ridgid press was bad batteries and charger right out of the box. Check the date on the batteries. Also if you already are using Milwaukee battery tools I would buy the Milwaukee press.

Press fittings are just fancy sharkbites for professionals that can’t solder.

j/k 🤡
I hear you. I still solder, but I cant help but to look at other methods. Also, even though
you drained a line, sometimes there is that one drip of water that keeps entering the line
while your trying to solder the joint.

I hear you. I still solder, but I cant help but to look at other methods. Also, even though
you drained a line, sometimes there is that one drip of water that keeps entering the line
while your trying to solder the joint.

I completely understand your perspective.

But for residential repair I haven’t seen where the benefits would even begin to pay for the tool, fittings and maintenance of the tool.

New residential construction you’d go broke unless it was custom home and if it’s a custom home I would solder the joints.

So that’s how it shakes out for me.

In residential when a valve doesn’t work, I just replace the valve.

Why would I buy a tool for a couple grand and fittings that are 4x the cost just to cut my throat and not replace a leaking valve ?

Replacing leaking valves is what I’m in business to do......not buy tools that allow me to not replace a leaking valve.

No one gets that ? 🤣

Just because the industry pushes new easy ways doesn’t mean you have to buy it to be legit. They’re the ones making all the money when they sell their stuff.

Propress is inferior to soldering or brazing.

All that said, if y’all wanted to all chip in and buy me a press tool and a truck full of fittings then I’d take it.

I’m not against it, it just wouldn’t make me any money and that’s why I’m in business.

I’d buy the Milwaukee compact tool that has the 1/2-1” jaws if I bought one. 😜

Last edited:
Back