pre-drywall plumbing test

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianedebuda

Reaction score
Addition was framed in 1989 with rough-in done by plumber. Ran out of money, so not getting back to it until now. Want to test water & drain lines myself before drywall installed. Most water lines (copper) looked squeezed shut. Is this the normal state for the test? Proper test procedures?

Why would you test the waterlines if they have been tied in all this time?

what part of Austin ? I used to live in bude
I'm in Buda: FM1626 & FM967.

Why would you test the waterlines if they have been tied in all this time?
1) I had to cut a line to a hose bib to relocate when masons were doing their thing. Still open. 2) Not sure how good the rough-in plumber was. I did not hire him directly. Example: framers made a small mistake in bath wall location so that toilet flange would be too close to wall, so plumber plumbed for back flush - but cut the studs so much for the copper that the required wall support doesn't exist. At least that's what another plumber told me. Really don't want back flush, so plan to cut slab & replumb for std floor mount.

100lb air pressure for water lines? How long? How to test drain system?

Thanks for looking.

I lived in Ashford park subdivision, behind cabelas

you test the drains by plugging the end of the pipe, crawl on the roof and fill the pipes up with water

not knowing what you have, it is a generic answer. pictures, pictures

100psi, code is 15 minutes, i like to let it sit a couple of hours in case there is a tiny little sob that is hard to find

you test the drains by plugging the end of the pipe, crawl on the roof and fill the pipes up with water
That's what I'd guessed. Guess I'll just do it from 2nd floor sink drain (highest interior point). Tile is on roof; risk to me & tile not worth it. But do need to clean/check lower level.

100psi, code is 15 minutes, i like to let it sit a couple of hours in case there is a tiny little sob that is hard to find
Great. Plan to use Sharksbite for the elbow to reconnect the displaced hose bib.

not knowing what you have, it is a generic answer. pictures, pictures
Pics of ? Maybe the toilet flange mess?

I lived in Ashford park subdivision, behind cabelas
Think I recall you said a long time ago that you were now in San Marcos. Ever work up here in Buda these days?

That's what I'd guessed. Guess I'll just do it from 2nd floor sink drain (highest interior point). Tile is on roof; risk to me & tile not worth it. But do need to clean/check lower level.

Great. Plan to use Sharksbite for the elbow to reconnect the displaced hose bib.

Pics of ? Maybe the toilet flange mess?

Think I recall you said a long time ago that you were now in San Marcos. Ever work up here in Buda these days?

worked in san marcos and used to eat ate the cat fish restaurant

but nevr lived there. 771 faircrest dr. lol my old address

i moved from bude texas to buda mississipppi

lol wrap your head around that.

for a 2nd floor dwv test. find the 3'' line, cut it, install a test tee

they make a test ball///// then, fill the tub up with water and the pipes

6632673.jpg

ac90143f-5101-4e25-b1bb-f03bb926de53_400.jpg

this will test all the under floor joints
screw the test ball into the tee,,after the test, release the air, water drains
then remove the plug and glue the threaded cap into the threads of the tee
you will nerve see that tee again, it was just to test with

why glue instead of pipe dope...if you bury it in the wall,,you do not want a opps later on

Last edited:
for a 2nd floor dwv test...
Sounds like you have to have fixtures in place. I just have pipe stubs at this point... Guess I'd have to block them off to do a test. Duh. Wonder if the rough-in plumber tested? It is the dwv normally tested? I'm outside of town & there's no inspections...

Thanks for your hand-holding.

So at this point, I'd guess the water lines may have been tested by the plumber, but not the drain system. This is a big addition to the house and being empty, has "drawn" so much junk over the years that I'm having to do the finish out in 2 phases: upstairs, then downstairs. Most of the plumbing is down; only have a 1/2 bath upstairs so that at least limits my "exposure" of what's being drywalled now.

Think I have a plan now. Thanks so much for your help.

Latest posts

Back