Potable Water Sistern

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studhauler

Reaction score
I would like to use a water cistern for my potable water supply, during periods of extended electrical outages. The info I could find about doing this, says to start with municipality treated water. I will be using water from a private well (raw water). That source says treated water is only good for two days in a cistern, unless one watches the chlorine level.

I am sure there are people out there that use raw water in their cistern. What are you doing?

Thanks for your help.

With a second source of water and also having a municipal system you will be required to at least have a back-flow device installed on the municipal water main, to prevent your unknown water supply from entering the city mains. This device will have to be tested yearly.

John

I only have one source of water, that is from my well. I am looking to put in a cistern, so that during period of extended electricity outages I can have running water without using a generator. The cistern would be empty 98% of the time. Only when commercial power goes out would i fill it, using my generator to run the well. Yes, a back-flow preventer would be a good idea so cistern water does not bac-flow into my well.

Back