Pot filler Install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autotech44

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm not a plumber but looking into selling pot filler faucets. Lots of complaints about connection leaks after install, and other seller's instructions all say use Teflon tape and you're good.

It's a 2" long, male/male, 1/2" nps/npt adapter. The npt end goes into the wall to the female fitting. The nps end is supposed to stick out a 1/2" from the wall where the pot filler screws on.

I tested it myself and both end's leaked with Teflon tape. I had to tighten heavy to seal the npt end, and way too many wraps of tape to seal the nps end.

A big issue I see is after the npt end is tight, you have to screw the pot filler in until it hits the included retainer. So it's never going to be tight on that end. The pot filler is held in position with a set screw.

What are the best instructions I can give a DIYer to install a pot filler. I hear tape, sealant, or both depending on who you talk to.

Thank you...

a67aff9c-ec9c-4bdc-ade3-165cd423f234.__CR0,0,220,220_PT0_SX220_V1___.jpg

You will be hearing a lot of plumbers saying tape AND dope. However, in industrial installations, I've NEVER seen a specification that allows both tape and dope on the same joint. Using both is often cited as strictly forbidden.

So, I NEVER use both and actually rarely use tape, except for some compressed air connections. A good quality dope is the choice for me.

And that has worked great for all my connections, and my wife's pot filler hasn't leaked since it was installed 7 years ago or so.

The Kohler one I just did specified tape only, not that Kohler is the authority.

What brand is this pot filler in the original post?
It's just one on many China imports selling online. Just like Kohler, Delta, and Moen, they all say use tape with limited description.

Last edited:
You will be hearing a lot of plumbers saying tape AND dope. However, in industrial installations, I've NEVER seen a specification that allows both tape and dope on the same joint. Using both is often cited as strictly forbidden.

So, I NEVER use both and actually rarely use tape, except for some compressed air connections. A good quality dope is the choice for me.

And that has worked great for all my connections, and my wife's pot filler hasn't leaked since it was installed 7 years ago or so.
What dope would you recommend for this type job? Must it cure and harden?

I picture using a sealant (dope) on the nps end, screw on the pot filler to where it's horizontal and tighten the set screw. But the connection is still loose. Meaning no thread-to-thread torque. So how would wet or soft sealant hold back the water pressure?

You can use pipe dope and Teflon tape if you want and it works. At least one manufacturer doesn’t have a problem with it. That doesn’t surprise me, they’re selling both.

https://www.oatey.com/faqs-blog-videos-case-studies/blog/how-create-leak-proof-joints-pipe-dope
The definition of pipe dope and it’s ingredients can vary.
Again, even with tape and dope, if it's loose thread-to-thread it won't hold back the water pressure. Is the fix multiple wraps of tape to make it tight?

I would not trust a slip on base. My pot filler was thread to thread, and wouldn't go anywhere.

Again, even with tape and dope, if it's loose thread-to-thread it won't hold back the water pressure. Is the fix multiple wraps of tape to make it tight?

I don’t buy or install poor quality products.

Is the small hex nut just for the escutcheon, or is that to connect the entire pot filler?

Is the small hex nut just for the escutcheon, or is that to connect the entire pot filler?
It's a set pin to hold the pot filler level. The male to female threads have too much clearance to be tight and hold it. That's the leak problem.

They are not like a bathtub. These are thread to thread connections.
The Kohler one is pretty weird. You have a nipple coming out of the wall, then a round brass thing that screw onto that and that just presses into the faucet part, it seals with two O rings and then a set screw holds that in together. Seems a little dicey to me when I really think about it. I was all fine with it and now I am wondering again.

Just like the Kohler bathtub spouts? Nope, I'd return it. Your trusting the flooding of your home on a stupid o ring.

Just like the Kohler bathtub spouts? Nope, I'd return it. Your trusting the flooding of your home on a stupid o ring.
I am gonna try and make Kohler buy it back from me and compensate me for the hassle. Although, I had a shutoff installed on the pot filler line in the basement. I may just shut that line off, keep it up there and consider it an expensive piece of art we probably weren't going to use anyway. It does look cool.

I purchased a cheap Glacier Bay pot filler from Home Depot. It was quick to install and looked great, being a piece of cheap junk.

The Kohler one is pretty weird. You have a nipple coming out of the wall, then a round brass thing that screw onto that and that just presses into the faucet part, it seals with two O rings and then a set screw holds that in together. Seems a little dicey to me when I really think about it. I was all fine with it and now I am wondering again.

The kohler pot fillers I’ve seen thread onto a 1/2” nipple.

Do you have pics or a link to the model you have ?

Oops, I didn't read your question well enough to notice that you said your pot filler has NPS threads on one end of the nipple. As others have said, that is not a good connection for water service. I too would not use that type of a pot filler connection.

This forum just a post about a person needing a 2 1/4" long nipple for a pot filler and the discussion included the risks of cutting 1/8" off both ends of a 2 1/2" nipple. So, I'm not even sure using a standard nipple with a NPS female part would be advisable. You really need the full length of the sealing threads for a proper watertight connection.

Back