Pot Filler- Hot and Cold Please

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceri

Reaction score
Hi there:

We have been without much of a kitchen for the past 4 years and the time has come to sort that out. As out house in about 100 years old, we want to give the kitchen an oldy worldly feel and both agree that pot fillers are excellent looking things. Unfortunately, the mixer versions cost a fortune or are otherwise only cold water only.

I am wondering if there would be an inexpensive way to convert a pot filler into a mixer- a frankenstein, if you will, tap.

All ideas welcome.

Thanks

I guess anything is possible. The hard part is finding a hot/cold faucet that expands to reach the pots, but retracts completely. I'm sure they are out there, but may take many hours of searching on the internet.

The idea would be to have it over our kitchen sink- a belfast sink as I believe they are called- I guess the arm could just have separate taps...?

Thanks

Interesting.

Would you want a filler that has articulating arm(s) or a version like this-

CF334CP.jpg

Just add a HOT/COLD valve(s) at the mounting base (rear wall)?

You would have to have a seperate mixing valve before the pot filler. It could be done, but then you would have to buy and install 2 valves, and match finishes.

As phish has said... But I would ask this question.

"what is the intention of this hot and cold Mixed pot filler"?

You "Could" install a full mixing valve Set to a temperature before the whole works, this would be tempered water. otherwise I believe you are looking at buying a fairly expensive set up with having to match trim.

... after typing that ^ i did a search and found this

http://www.vintagetub.com/asp/product_detail.asp?item_no=P0833C

not as nice but proof that its out there, you need to go hunting.. ;)

http://www.build.com/zurn-z826f1-r2...d-pot-filler-from-the-aquaspec-series/p205030

ugly as sin, but another design with hot and cold. there are also many that are on a flex line, though By the look you are going for I would try my best to convince the wife to go with a simple cold one ... :) what pot are you filling that needs hot water?

anyways, keep looking its out there, or can be made by a plumber with eyes for details .

Maybe think a Rough in mixing valve from a shower trim like this...

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...tion=2&category=8&subcategory=50&retail=false

this would only really work for a wall mounted setup though, which is what you posted So....

This valve would also be visablle on the wall, and would adjust the temp and feed the pot filler.

Last edited:
I am going to tell you what- This is a nice looking fixture Liquid-

l_P0833C.jpg

STROM PLUMBING has a lot of neat 'ol stuff. Trouble is, I remember houses being plumbed with those type fixtures... :(

I like it too, though i'd like it more if it were an oil rubbed bronze finish.

lets face it, if this is being used to fill pots on the stove with HOT water, what are the odds the water will be hot when it comes out of the tap? unless the water heater is on the other side of the wall, and thats a whole different topic,,

Thanks all of you. We wanted the pot filler to work as our kitchen sink tap. To be honest, we're in Argentina and and are remodeling our turn of the century Italian colonial building. We have been working as time/money permits. We are about to put real money into hard wood cabinets, granite and the rest and pot fillers seem to fit the aesthetic but not for our uses.

Liquid- I'm originally from Edmonton so I appreciate seeing Alberta as part of your ID- that shower mixer is great except for the price.

Here we can get loads of antiques but there are obvious concerns about lead in taps, etc..

This is quite tempting http://www.ebay.com/itm/14069866426...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1138 and get it chromed or nickel-plated if a) she agrees and b) we can't find a nice, easy solution.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Just a word of caution. I once purchased an articulating shower head bracket so I didn't have to bend down to get my head wet in the shower, but all those bends drastically reduced the water volume. I'm not saying they all do, but mine sure did.

th issue witht he swan tap would be cartridges for the handles, may not be something that one could aquire... though Im sure a decent plumber could find a way to make something work with newer handles and that existing spout.

be weary of "antique" fixtures as they can be quite a chore when maitenance is needed.

If your home is truely turn of the century then you likely have lead piping, they say that over much time mineral deposits coat the insides of the piping and thus create a barrier for the water form the lead.... plausiblle but unlikely, not trying to scare you or put you off just felt you should know since you had mentioned it.

look at oil rubbed fixtures for the oldly looking type,

We have removed or circumvented away from any lead pipes. It meant having the main bathroom redone three times, which is why I am being frugal about taps!

yes but what feed THOSE pipes... regardless, I doubt its a major concern if your water in argentina is a good quality.

Back