Poor water pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malibukid71

Reaction score
I seam to have poor water pressure in my house. It was built in 1959 and has copper plumbing. If the shower is on the water pressure gets way low using any other faucet in the house. My dishwasher (which is just over a year old) can't seam to get my dishes very clean, which I assume is due to crappy pressure. The water dispenser on the fridge is hardly use because it is so slow it looks like it comes out just fast enough to not be dripping. I've checked the pressure regulator with the water meter guy and he says it is fully open. What can I do to get the pressure higher?

Thanks

The problem could be your water service (the water line from the city water meter to the house) or the service entrance valve (the water valve that turns off the water to the house). If the water service service is galvanize piping instead of copper or plastic, this could be your problem. If your service entrance valve is not fully open, or it's a gate style valve instead of a ball style valve, the gate may have drop inside of the valve. Galvanize piping and/or gate valve should be replaced.

Malibu, that is the city water meter, there should be a water service (water line) that runs from the city meter back to your home.

Malibu, that is the city water meter, there should be a water service (water line) that runs from the city meter back to your home.

That is a meter setting service for cold weather climates. It comes out of the ground and goes back under the ground to the house. The main to the home will likely be much deeper then normal.

Here is where it comes into the house. It is the same whether I have the bypass on or off on the Rainsoft system. The pressure on the outside spigot is okay but nothing special.

DSCN2166.jpg

DSCN2168.jpg

Have you put a gauge on anything to see what the pressure is? Usually the spigot is connected directly to your main is why I was asking.

malibu, your problem could be the service entrance valve (the red handle valve in the photo),the brass check valve that is in-line just before the water softner inlet,or maybe your water service(ie galvanize ,water leak -- your service should be at least 3feet below the ground.) try closing the service entrance valve , if valve closes the water in your home should be off -if the water is not off - the service entrance valve should be replace.

Back