polypropylene JG female thread to metal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopeful

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Nicolazzi filter faucet in my kitchen, and its shank is 7/16" threaded metal (not sure what type- silver color). I want to connect 1/4" pex coming from my new water filter. The old fitting was a John Guest, and when I removed it from the shank it was clear that pipe dope was used on the threads. I was hoping to find a compression fitting which which to replace the old JG one, but I can not find a 7/16 female to 1/4 compression anywhere. My plumbing store gave me the only solution they could find, which is another JG fitting made of polypropylene. I tried Teflon tape on the shank, got a slow drip, tightened it, and it's still leaking. Thus my questions:

I have read that some JG fittings use no sealant on pipe: this one is labelled 3/8" X 7/16 UNS Faucet Connector PP3212U7WP. Should I not have used tape? Should I use pipe dope, and if so, what kind is OK for PP to metal? Finally, while the instructions are long and thorough with respect to the push-to-connect side, all they say about the threaded side is to not overtighten products with threads; maybe that was my problem...?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Vince

Back