"Polymer tank" water heater lifespan?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_W

Reaction score
I just finished putting the 4th element into our water heater since we moved in 10 years ago.

It's an old 1990's? 50gal from Sears and the model decodes as being made by State and uses the 1 3/8 elements with built in anodes. The spec sticker layout and serial number matches the State format and dates it to June 2000, but I can't be 100% sure.

I did both elements several years ago when one failed. Replaced both thermostats in 2015 or 16 and last year I replaced the upper element, vaccumed out lots of sediment, inspected the tank, and found it was in good shape. This time I replaced the the lower element since it was caked with soft flaky scale deposits and was making noise through the pipes. The upper element is still serviceable with ~50% anode remaining, the safety valve opens, and the noise is gone.

It is still showing no real signs of issues, but the elements are getting very hard to find locally. I have only been replacing one at a time when they fail as that's all the place that still has them stocks.

I can find almost no info about polymer tank heater lifespans other than old "lifetime warranty" ads and nobody but Reem sells new ones.

When should I consider replacing this thing?

Last edited:
Back