Plumbing woodstove into oil boiler

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labtek

Reaction score
Hello to the group and good day.

I have a woodstove that heats the majority of my house but there are areas of the basement that the woodstove heat does not reach. I also have an oil fired boiler that basically is a back up heat source as well as a source of domestic hot water. I wanted to install hot water radiators in the cold areas.

Would there be a way to heat the boiler water with the woodstove? I know that this idea would involve the installation of a heat and pressure resistant tank inside the woodstove but I'm unsure whether to plumb the woodstove water into the domestic hot water coil inside the boiler or to plumb it into the boiler itself.

I suppose that if this is accomplished, I would be obligated to have heat going to the radiators just to dissipate the heat generated by the stove.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Just a regular woodstove? No

Yes, regular woodstove- I'm prepared to retrofit as necessary.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there are safety certified wood boilers for sale with coils or you could use an indirect hot water tank.

Thanks to all who posted. I defer to your opinions and will abandon to idea. Matt30- hope that you are not having to walk during the transit strike...

Oh man, it'd be a cold old walk with a hand full of pipe wrenches and tools!!

Luckily for me im not affected by the strike other than an increase in traffic when im in town. I also work mostly outside the city anyway.

Are you caught up in the strike?

Back