Plumbing waste line for laundry room addition

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nholt

Reaction score
30364884-3881-480E-8216-B2C6B22F1DA3.jpeg Hi, I’m new to the forum and had a few questions. I’m planning a laundry room addition that will have a sink and washer / dryer. I’ve already dug up my backyard where I’m going to tie into the waste line. I think it’s probably 6” maybe 4” diameter. I’ll measure again when I get home. My question is at what point is the waste line “resized” down to the 2” that will be in the laundry room wall? Also should I be concered about the waste line and cold water line coming into the foundation footing and then going straight up into the wall? I plan on either wrapping or using a sleeve on the pipes to protect them from the concrete. The hot water is coming through the ceiling from the house. I included a sketch of my plan.

Why is it necessary to bring separate lines in from under ground as opposed to within the house?
You must check your local code requirements for proximity and crossing of potable water and waste lines.

Thank you for the response. The new laundry room is an addition to the back of the house. I'm in the Houston area and we don't have basements and the house sits on a concrete foundation. A new foundation is being poured for the laundry room addition. So branching off of or using the house plumbing isn't really practical. That is a good point to check into about the code.

Yeah you need to go with code in a big metro like Houston. Hate for you to get stuck with a red sticker after you try to sell house. But if you were in my town I would tell you to bust a 2” hole in existing foundation and 2 -1” holes. Sleeve all of those. Run your new drain below concrete thickness sleeve water lines all the way with 1” electrical conduit. Keep drain going up to atmosphere after you hit washer box. That will get you past most codes. But once your in dirt. You gotta be so far from each utility and you could be running out of room or double running just to stay away from another utility. Just easier to tap into existing plumbing inthe end. Here! I have every pipe size diamond hole saw also. So my OPINION is one sided and expensive. But codes will catch up with you. And you can’t retreive the money you spent going under the wire. Reduce your pipe size as close to vertical wall drop as possible. Costs a little more but you have bigger drain. I reduce down at the tap of bigger line and have a proper vent.

Back