Plumbing rough-in in basement. Need identification help.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleverCowboy

Reaction score
Hello all -

I purchased a 2 year old home that I moved into last week. One of the things I have planned is to finish off the basement. There is some plumbing that has already been roughed in. I know some basics in plumbing but am a little confused as to what all the PVC is shown in the picture below.

I'm going to guess all are for draining, starting right to left, with one for a sink, then toilet, then shower/tub? Is this correct? Is there anything missing that would be needed to add a full bath downstairs (other than a water source)?

My other question is why are they situated so closely together in a group? I cannot think of a configuration of sink/toilet/shower that could use this as-is. Is this a situation where the foundation would need to be broken up to move the PVC into position?

Thank you in advance!

Rough In.jpeg

it looks ok to me. You can run that 1 1/2 line horizontally in the wall behind the toilet so that the sink is to the right of the toilet . and if that other ine is 2 inchs then it is a shower.

it looks ok to me. You can run that 1 1/2 line horizontally in the wall behind the toilet so that the sink is to the right of the toilet . and if that other ine is 2 inchs then it is a shower.
2" would be a tub as well. At least here. 1-1/2" is not run below ground.

Looks like someone randomly stubbed pipes up for a bathroom.

Shower at the bottom of pic, then toilet with sink to the left of 4" pipe. It should be 12 1/2" from center of 4" back to front of bottom plate. 15" minimum either side of center line of toilet.

it looks ok to me. You can run that 1 1/2 line horizontally in the wall behind the toilet so that the sink is to the right of the toilet . and if that other line is 2 inches then it is a shower.

Thanks. I am trying to come up with a visual of how the fixtures can be arranged to make sense.

I think what you are saying is that the toilet can be installed left to right, with the tank towards the right side of the picture.

Could the horizontal 1 1/2 line be extended (within a wall) in the direction that it is going so that a sink can then be installed to the left of the toilet? I am assuming the horizontal portion would be for drainage. What is the vertical, capped off portion and does it need to remain capped off? Can it also be hidden in a wall?

If the 2" line is for a tub, then the drain is on the end and it can be installed going to the left from that point.

Am I missing anything?

Can you back up and take a couple pics showing where the walls are?

Here is a picture backed up so you can see the corner. Excuse the clutter as we just moved in less than a week ago and the basement was a handy dumping ground for the time being.

So the distance from the vertical 1 1/2 pipe (with the horizontal piece) is approx 5 1/2 feet from left wall and approx 7 1/2 feet from right wall.

This portion of the basement is pretty large with the distance from the left wall down to the opposite wall being 45'. The right wall to the opposite wall is 26'.

The plan is to finish this part off with a pretty large office that can double as a bedroom should we ever move. A full bath, an entertainment area and possibly a workshop area if space permits.

The problem I am seeing is that the horizontal pipe will define the back wall of the bathroom, with the toilet and the tub facing away. After building the four walls it will leave two hallway sized areas between the bathroom and the walls that you see in the pic. Maybe it can be used for storage in some way but it's not ideal.

I would even prefer a extra large bathroom to take the whole corner up, but the pipes don't really support that idea unless the foundation is broken up and pipes moved, which I prefer not to do. Maybe I am missing something though.

IMG_0755.jpeg

Back