Plumbing problems with home

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwaynesandw

Reaction score
Hello, my name is John and I am 31 years old. Recently my wife and I bought our second home in our home town so we could be closer to our families. Currently we are only able to work on the house on the weekends because we have to work where we currently live until the house is ready to live in. We plan to live in this house the rest of our life and we want to fix things right. I have always been a DIYer, but I have never faced plumbing issues on this scale.

The house we bought was built in 1972. It sits on a 4" slab which I think contains the original plumbing. I think there may have been plumbing repairs that were ran through the attic, but I have been unable to explore that area of the attic. I plan to get up their this weekend. The house has been empty for the past 3-4 years.

I have attached two pictures of the hallway between the two bathrooms to show the plumbing set up for the bathrooms. I am new to plumbing, so please excuse me if I lack common plumbing knowledge.

To the left is the master bath which has water flow from both hot and cold. The sink's flow is very light even with both hot and cold on. The shower seems to have a slightly stronger flow, but nothing to brag about.

To the right, the toilet has good water flow, but the sink has ZERO. The hot water flows from the sink slightly better than the master's sink. The shower has the lightest cold water flow, but it is very light. hot water flows in shower, but noting to write hime about.

Water pressure in the kitchen sink seems to be strongest but it is also the closest to the water source.

Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance,
John

DSC08878.jpg

DSC08879.jpg

I would start by shutting off the supply stops under the sinks, detaching the supply lines to the faucet, and using a new supply line, check to see if you have good volume there. The most usual problem is sediment buildup in the faucet cartridges. But the only way to find out is to start doing some diagnostic work.

Phishfood, Thank you for the advise. In the master bath, we had water dripping from the shower head and sink faucet. I replaced the stem and seat to the shower faucet which stopped the leak. The sink's faucet we replaced along with the lines from the shut-off valve. I replaced the hard line with flex line. I have water from both hot and cold side, but the flow is very light. The shut off valves seem to need to be replaced as well as there is still a drip when they are shut off.

I will replace the supply lines to the small bathroom sink this weekend and report back.

Thank you again for the advise.

Latest posts

Back