Plumbing Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

userdoba

Reaction score
We moved into our current residence, which was built in 1972, six years ago. About three years ago, the hot water pipe from the water heater sprung a pinhole leak at the top. It was replaced by a professional plumber. A month ago, the same kind of leak occurred on the cold water pipe into the water heater. The plumber who replaced this pipe said that pipes installed in 1972 are prone to leaking, and that We should replace all of our pipes to assure that none of the pipes in the walls spring a leak. Is the plumber's assessment accurate? Should all of the pipes in my residence be replaced because of the material that was being used then?
Thank you
userdoba

Considering that the piping is 38 years old, and also considering that you have had two leaks already, my best guess is that your plumber's recommendation is correct.

Sounds like Poly piping, which was made non-code a number of years ago. Had many lawsuits and taken off the market. See if you can find a run of pipe long enough to see the printed name on it.

OP did not say if it was copper or plastic.
Normally polybutylene pipe that you speak of is not run exposed to the water heater or in exposed areas. It usually had copper extentions in exposed areas.
Then again, was the pipe replaced just a flex connector that leaked?
If the pipe is a gray plastic then it is most likely PB and should all be replaced.

I don't know what kind of pipe was installed. It looked like ordinary gray metal pipe. I'm certain it was not plastic. These are the pipes that come out of the wall, not the flex tubing (probably copper) that attaches to the water heater. When the water heater was replaced a couple of years ago, the inspector raised the issue of dissimilar metals and insisted that a dielectric coupling be used.
userdoba

It sounds as though you have galvanized metal water piping. I have very little experience with this kind of piping regarding when it is "time" to replace it. My mother's house has some of it that is considerably older than I am, but we have really good well water here.

I still go back to my original assessment.

Back