Plumbing help needed.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment IMG_1933.mp4IMG_1934.JPEGIMG_1935.JPEGIMG_1936.JPEGIMG_1937.JPEGIMG_1938.JPEGIMG_1939.JPEGIMG_1940.JPEGIMG_1941.JPEG
View attachment IMG_1933.mp4IMG_1934.JPEGIMG_1935.JPEGIMG_1936.JPEGIMG_1937.JPEGIMG_1938.JPEGIMG_1939.JPEGIMG_1940.JPEGIMG_1941.JPEG
View attachment IMG_1933.mp4
Hi everyone, I just finished re-piping this whole project again. as soon as I turned the water on and off - the pipes were silent. after a minute or two, I kept turning the faucet on and off to see if the issue was resolved, however the banging persist.

All pipes are secured. (Sorry for my sloppy work - the concrete foundation is really hard to drill into it). I'm planning on installing two pressure reducers on the lines tomorrow as a last resort.
View attachment IMG_1933.mp4

The sad part about this whole project is that it nearly cost me 10K to have everything done. Walls were closed and everything was fine. as soon as my wife heard the pipes, I was told they needed to be fixed as soon as possible. so there goes opening the walls again, cutting pipes, more trips to home depot etc.

Some cheap showers valves have cartridges that contain check valves that will bounce when faucets are turned off quickly.

Some cheap showers valves have cartridges that contain check valves that will bounce when faucets are turned off quickly.
Thank you for pointing that out.
the shower valve is a delta shower valve, and the faucet is a Moen faucet for the sink. Since we're planning on keeping the house for a while, we didn't want to take the cheap way around knowing that it will come back and bite soon then later.

Try not turning the water off so fast.

Water hammer is not a function of a loose pipe. One of the major causes of water hammer is by fast moving water suddenly stopping.

Thanks. yes if the faucet is slowly closed - Then no bang.

Thanks. yes if the faucet is slowly closed - Then no bang.
Any way of enlisting your wife to help, turning the water on and off while you try to track down the noise ? Sometimes you can find it, sometimes it's hard to do since noise seems to travel. I've used a mechanics stethoscope before to to this.

Just turn the water off slow and there won’t be a problem. Restrict the water to your toilet inlet and maybe add a couple water hammer arrestors at appliances that have electric water valves. Check your water pressure and make sure it’s not above 80psi

What did you use to connect the water supply to your fixtures?

Can you feel the "thump" in the fixture or the pipe?

Does the sound vary between the toilet flush and the sink usage?

Bottom line, you need to determine the absolute source of the noise before going any further. It would be a real shame if you change to PEX and still had this issue.

What did you use to connect the water supply to your fixtures?

Can you feel the "thump" in the fixture or the pipe?

Does the sound vary between the toilet flush and the sink usage?

Bottom line, you need to determine the absolute source of the noise before going any further. It would be a real shame if you change to PEX and still had this issue.

Thank you Everyone for taking the time to help me with this.

I added two water arrestors on the line under the sink and another two between the lines in the wall.
I also added two water pressure reducer valves where the lines are connected from the existing lines of the house.

I dropped the pressure very low enough to use the faucet and the shower without any issues. I kept the cooper piping since I do not trust PEX. There is still a little noise on the hot water side only but its barely noticeable. The cold water is no longer making any noise so that's a plus. also, when I turn faucets around the house the pipes in the shower downstairs no longer bang.

So this problem is now isolated in the bathroom only and its only the hot water line that makes a small bang.

My wife wanted me to start closing the walls, so I started closing the walls today so I can start cleaning the area. I hope the noise from the hot water goes away on its own, or I might just drop the pressure a little bit more.

I think I'm just going to leave it like that, since the house 3 bathrooms already and this is a 4th one, for anyone that decides to stay over because there is a bedroom downstairs which now opens into the bathroom.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I will gladly take it. In the meanwhile, Thank you so much again for taking the time to help me with this. Stay well and God bless.IMG_1955.PNGIMG_1958.PNGIMG_1956.PNG

We've been using the bathroom and haven't had any issues. I did close the walls, because she wanted downstairs cleaned up. I rerouted the pipes right on top of the dropped ceiling just in case I have to get to them again. all of the plumbing behind the walls were soldered and I have wiggle room to get to them if I have to without taking down the wall again.
Access Panels were installed, for the shut off valves for the shower, access panel for the toilet pump if i have to get to it, and access panel for the main cold / hot water.

also, the little noise I was getting from the hot water side, I installed an arrestor where I tapped into the existing pipe. The bang from that pipe is hardly noticeable. so That's it for this project.

I appreciated everyone for helping me.

Latest posts

Back