Plumbing for shower valve on opposite wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dshoaf

Reaction score
Hello all. I am renovating our bathroom and it is currently down to the wall studs and new subfloor. I am putting in a tiled shower with curb. The showerhead will remain on the same wall, but I am thinking of putting the shower valve & controls on the opposite wall. We will have a 1/2 glass panel next to the showerhead so we will want to be able to adjust the temperature before getting in the shower. The long wall is an exterior wall and above the shower is the attic. I am trying to figure out how to run the water lines to do this. I have posted a horrible diagram of the layout and will explain the current layout of the water lines. We live in a ranch and this is the main level bathroom. The water tank is in the basement directly below the vent stack on the diagram. I have pex pipe that goes from the water tank and follows the wall (vanity -> toilet -> shower). From the shower, the lines go down into the basement. What is the best way to run the water lines so I can have the shower controls opposite the showerhead? I have read not to run them on an exterior wall or up in an attic. That leaves me with limited options. We live in Ohio so it can get to single digits in the winter. Please help as I am struggling with this. Thank you.

.JPEG image 25.jpeg

Run the shower pipe down to the basement from the valve then up the wall for the shower head.
I do not follow what you are saying. I did not put it on the diagram but the water lines are currently setup this way: The water heater is over where the vent stack is down in the basement. Both hot/cold lines run across the room hooking up to each source (vanity, toilet, then shower). If I put the valve on the opposite wall, I would need to run the hot/cold lines across the room to the valve, then run two additional lines back to the other wall to hookup to the showerhead and hand-held sprayer.

You can feed the valve from below and instead of running from the valve to the head in the exterior side wall, run back down under shower in basement and up to head
@CT18 - The water lines are on the wall where the shower head will be right now. So I would run the hot & cold lines under the floor over to the shower valve, then run the two returning lines back under the floor to the shower head and hand-held sprayer?

Install the piping in the interior wall, ceiling or floor. Use the most direct path as possible.

It’s your choice how you accomplish this.

Install the valve and shower head any place you’d like

I hated working in attics especially in the summer. Had to take a guy to the hospital because he got
burnt on a piece of metal duct work.

I hated working in attics especially in the summer. Had to take a guy to the hospital because he got
burnt on a piece of metal duct work.
That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard of to her honest. Was he drunk ?

He tripped on a wire and his arm landed on the duct. The owner put a meat thermometer up there
and it went past 140.

I was up in an attic yesterday. While I was in a "service location" for an HVAC system, it was 140 degrees up there easy; it was nearly 100 outside. There was the minimally insulated a/c air handler and a coil, and a total rat's nest of minimally insulated flexible ductwork going all over the place. Operating an a/c unit in a 140 degree environment can't be good.

In the past, I've been in the same situations in crawl spaces; while they don't ever hit 140 degrees, they are festering swamps. Also no place for an HVAC system.

Now my own crawl is encapsulated, and a steady 60% humidity or below year round, and a relatively stable temp. Give me a proper basement any day. Generally they can easily be made clean, dry and bright and are a pleasure to work in.

But they love putting things in attics and crawl spaces here in the south... Keeps all the contractors angry and busy.

Southerners don’t consider North Carolina the south. Ask us…..🤣

Right. Like Alabama Georgia and Mississippi they still put pipes and water heaters in attics, HVAC in crawl spaces, and other proven ridiculous building practices. They call themselves the south here, and Bubba and Jake have the confederate flag flying, a couch and refrigerator on the porch, and grandpappy’s old pickup on blocks out back…😉

I would run just a single back and have a diverter for the handheld on the same side as the shower head/wand. Seems like it would be a bit inconvenient to have to move back and forth just to toggle between the two not to mention waiting for the warm water to arrive at wand.

Back