Plumbing Code - What is it?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel600x

Reaction score
How does it apply? Per State, county or a zip code? How can I get a copy of it ?

the states decide which code they use. You can buy the book but its usually available online

The International Code Council publishes the International Plumbing Code, and the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials, publishes the Uniform Plumbing Code. Both are “model” codes which are intended to be reviewed and modified by a governmental entity, before being adopted as the “Code”, and an enforceable statute.

I work for the Federal Government, and Congress adopted the International Code Council family of codes for all Federally owned buildings. With an allowance for the lead Engineer of an agency to modify the codes as necessary.

I work in Idaho, which has adopted a modified version of the International Plumbing Code, which is the Idaho Plumbing Code.

I have to install sanitary yard hydrants without weep holes to comply with the International Code, but under the Idaho Code local plumbers install the same old yard hydrant they have for the last hundred years.

"If you gotta ask...", then I assume you're not a pro :) I would recommend Black and Deckers "Codes for Homeowners" and "Code Check Complete". These will explain the basic codes in fairly easy to understand terms. From there, look up any local codes that might override these. But learn the national codes first - usually this covers 98% of what you need to know.

Back