Plumbing a double bathroom vanity

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpokerwinski

Reaction score
i am putting in a double bathroom vanity. The vent is TO THE RIGHT of the vanity. What is the best way to tie into the drain? Double p traps? If so I was go8ng to bring the vent over at an angle then down and use a double sanitary tee. The drain then will go straight down. Just 5he vent comes over at an angle .
Any ideas on this ?

You got the right idea. Or you could put a sanitary tee in and tie the vent back in. When you come back
out of the wall you can put in a double sanitary wye and in the center of the wye put a fitting clean out and
plug for any future plug ups. Then tie your traps into each side of the wye.

You got the right idea. Or you could put a sanitary tee in and tie the vent back in. When you come back
out of the wall you can put in a double sanitary wye and in the center of the wye put a fitting clean out and
plug for any future plug ups. Then tie your traps into each side of the wye.

That would be incorrect.
Installing 2 traps on a single dirty arm to santee is code violation.

Don't use a double santee!
Don't use a double wye!
Use a double fixture tee.
You can offset the vent with 90' s or 45's above the flood rim of the sink.
If you can move the drain closer to center of sinks is better.
This picture shows 90's coming out of wall. 45's would be better. Just plan your layout.

imagesCAKDCNRP.jpg

Last edited:
That would be incorrect.

Don't use a double wye!
This picture shows 90's coming out of wall. 45's would be better. Just plan your layout.

View attachment 18252
so in this picture you provided you would have 2 ptraps. is that a double sanitary tee connecting them to the vent pipe ?

That would be incorrect.

Don't use a double wye!

View attachment 18252
in my application , I would have the pipe that goes UP ( vent) configured like the bottom pipe) it woul eb just like this but the pipe configuration above and below the TEE would be flipped.

I just looked at a double fixture tee. in glad I asked the question. However. the dims on this are 2 x 1.5 x. 1.5x 1.5 I am assuming the 2 inch is to the drain and the 1.5 is to the sinks and one to the vent ?

Years ago we could use that double cross and now we are paying for it. Especially when you try to clean out a back
to back lavatory. Jpokerwinski, if you are going to open the whole wall behind the double lav to get to the drain then
definitely do it like David showed on his picture.

Years ago we could use that double cross and now we are paying for it. Especially when you try to clean out a back
to back lavatory. Jpokerwinski, if you are going to open the whole wall behind the double lav to get to the drain then

we are paying for it because plumbers were to cheap to add a $5.00 co. tee above the cross

ever dirty arm in my opinion should have a clean out above the tee.
every washer should have a co tee in the vent above the washer
every kitchen sink should have a co
toilets can be pulled to clean out,
if your main sewer trunk line comes with in 5' of the building line it should have a 5' dead end as a co
it amazes me when I walk into new house under construction and do not see co's

this in my opinion, because of the 90's should have a co
dont get me wrong, I have done this exact same thing David shows dozens of times,
builders tend to get pissy over co's. you just got to get pissy right back

sink co.jpg

Last edited:
inspectors let us plumb 2 urinals side by side using a cross for years
then I went to Colorado and did it, lol that inspector looked at me like i was crazy.
started talking about the barrel of the fitting being 2 pipes sizes larger,
I told him he was crazy, but he finally brought me around to his way of thinking.
funny how red tag works

I would venture a guess that its not us new construction guys not wanting to put in the co. I would say the GC or homeowner not wanting a possible additional hole in cabinet or vanity.

I would venture a guess that its not us new construction guys not wanting to put in the co. I would say the GC or homeowner not wanting a possible additional hole in cabinet or vanity.
:D
Old Mr Frank was about 60 years old back in the 80's he mainly only trimmed houses
but one day, we were behind so he topped out a house.
couple days later, the boss asked us, Who in the hell topped out lot oooo
and ran the kitchen vent out on the front of the house, .
Mr Frank, said I topped that house out, if they want the damn vent on the back of the house then move the damn kitchen to the back of the house.
little history. the owner of the co used to be Mr Franks helper back in the day.
All he did was grumble, then asked me, run by and offset that vent for Mr frank
Point is, I do not care what a builder wants, a co under a cabinet will never be seen
cause in my old age I am like:rolleyes: Mr. Frank

This is a fixture fitting
View attachment 18257
This is a cross

View attachment 18258

You can not use a cross to connect side by side fixtures, you must use a fixture fitting
that makes sense. especially looking at the design of each. thanks ! i assume they make these in different configuration. sinks normally are 1 1/4 correct ? They make these in 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 2 x 2 ?

i plan on doing it just like David shows but my drain will go strain down and my vent will go up then over to the right at 90 deg, then up

typically, you would use a 2 x 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 fixture cross,
then, under the sink, you would use a 1.5'' p trap
and a 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 reducing slip joint washer on the tail piece connection

*** NOTE*** the correct way to ''read'' a plumbing fitting, is to read it from the largest end to the smallest
example. a 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 would not be called 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/4

p trap.gif

i plan on doing it just like David shows but my drain will go strain down and my vent will go up then over to the right at 90 deg, then up
I see that this 2nd or 3rd time you asked that but I don't think anyone caught it. They seemed to focus on the offset on the drain.
But yes that is fine, Even better. you can offset the vent with 90's as long as the horizontal section is 6" above the flood rim of the sinks.
Don't use 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 2 x 2 They don't exist but the proper designation if they did would be 2 x 2 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4.

How would you do a kitchen sink with a double bowl.
ONE p-trap a tee above that trap coming from the 2nd sink.imagesCL13BCTR.jpg

You could probably do that to 2 lav sinks but the problem would be in the very long continuous waste arm from second sink. it would develop a nasty odor before it got to the trap

back before my time, they sometimes stacked 2 santee each with a p-trap to a sink but the problem with that is the bottom tee is wet vented so they stopped doing it.

Last edited:
typically, you would use a 2 x 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 fixture cross,
then, under the sink, you would use a 1.5'' p trap
and a 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 reducing slip joint washer on the tail piece connection

*** NOTE*** the correct way to ''read'' a plumbing fitting, is to read it from the largest end to the smallest
example. a 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 would not be called 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/4

View attachment 18277
is item "B" adapt the 1 1/4 " tailpiece to the 1 1/2" p trap ?

I see that this 2nd or 3rd time you asked that but I don't think anyone caught it. They seemed to focus on the offset on the drain.
But yes that is fine, Even better. you can offset the vent with 90's as long as the horizontal section is 6" above the flood rim of the sinks.
Don't use 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 2 x 2 They don't exist but the proper designation if they did would be 2 x 2 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4.
i was planning on using 2x2x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 fixture tee

Latest posts

Back