Plugging Toilet In Basement Ahead of Flood

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

personalt

Reaction score
Is there a good way to plug a toilet ahead of a flood? With Ida remains coming toward me I am expecting we will get some sewer backups that will bring the height of water an inch or so above my basement bathroom floor. In past storms when the water comes up it leaks a bit from under the toilet until water receeds. This is not surprising as a toilet flange seems to be mostly set up in a way to direct water in the flange not to protect against water coming out of drain. I was thinking I would either:

1)Pull the toilet and try and seal the opening until after storm
2)Pull and reinstall toilet while looking for a 'better' seal for the toilet then regular wax ring.

For sealing the opening - I was thinking a schedule 40 plug clean out plug but it would guess that it would be hit or miss that that the size will work out as toilet flange is not hub sized - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-PVC-Test-Plug-Fitting/3880609

For 'a better seal on toilet' I was thinking a fluid master 'better then wax seal' - Toilet Ring | Toilet Wax Free Ring | Toilet Installation | Better Than Wax™: Wax-Free Toilet Seal | Fluidmaster
That seams like if you tighten it down good it might give you a good bi-directional seal.

Would love any insight.

It's probably not coming through the pipe. Could be ground water penetrating around the pipe.

It is definitely coming through the pipe. In this area, the sewer is known to back up.

It sounds like you need a back water valve installed on your sewer line. But in the meantime, I can see pulling the toilet and installing a test plug working.

Test plug, but brace it to the floor above with a 2x4 or similar. Cheap insurance, because I know;)

It sounds like you need a back water valve installed on your sewer line. But in the meantime, I can see pulling the toilet and installing a test plug working.
I used an Oakley on a basement toilet that is no longer used. Question: Is Oakey the best choice or would you pros recommend another brand?
Thanks.

Back