plug for dishwasher behind moisture barrier

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirv

Reaction score
Dishwasher is not working and I want to take it out and look at some things. However I can't even get it unplugged. The plug goes undernetah towards the basement, it then comes back up through another hole that seems like it is bascially outside. There is not another hole comig up through the floor that is visable to me, and by tapping downstairs I have it pegged right behind the mositure barrier. I cut a small hole in the mositure barrier and all I could see was the insulation as it backs up righ to the brick of hte house.

What am I missing here? Is this normal?

TIA

Most dishwashers are not plugged in. They are usually wired directly from the electrical panel into the dishwasher, underneath. It sounds as if you are following the romex wire through the walls. What color is this wire you are following?
Check the electrical panel for something marked for the dishwasher. Power must be shut off before doing anything with the appliance.
If you are not comfortable with touching anything electrical, call a registered electrician and don't risk injuring yourself.

Most dishwashers are not plugged in. They are usually wired directly from the electrical panel into the dishwasher, underneath. It sounds as if you are following the romex wire through the walls. What color is this wire you are following?
Check the electrical panel for something marked for the dishwasher. Power must be shut off before doing anything with the appliance.
If you are not comfortable with touching anything electrical, call a registered electrician and don't risk injuring yourself.

That makes a little more sense. Cable from dishwasher is white. I had already turned off the dishwasher from the elctrical panel. I just couldnt see where I could pull the wires out. It went under then came back up through the basement and was very tightly in the corner where I could not reach. I just assume it went back through. Where should the wire end up at?

If you pull out the dishwasher, they should have left enough slack to disconnect from the dishwasher itself.

Just make sure the power is off!
Brilliant thank-you for helping out a novice like myself

Swirv, the connection from the cable is typically under the dishwasher and accessable in a small junction box right behind the toe kick plate. Make sure the circuit breaker is off - it should have it's own dedicated breaker.

Swirv, the connection from the cable is typically under the dishwasher and accessable in a small junction box right behind the toe kick plate. Make sure the circuit breaker is off - it should have it's own dedicated breaker.

Yes was very easy. Think dishwasher is done, but at least I can put the new one in and dont have to pay for that

Back