Please Help - Toilet Bowl Only Fills Up Half Way

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moondoggy

Reaction score
Can someone please help me resolve an issue I'm having with my Mancesa (by Mansfield) 4860 toilet?

When I flush the toilet water from the tank flushes the waste down the drain, the flapper closes, the tank refills with water up to the water line and the ballcock valve shuts off completely. My problem is that the bowl is only partially filling to perhaps 50% of the water that used to fill the bowl. To me it seemed like the flapper was closing too quickly so I installed a new flapper and the result was still the same.

I contacted Mansfield Plumbing Products and they were not helpful as the Mancesa line of toilets are made in Columbia, South America and shipped directly to big box stores in the US so they apparently do not support these foreign made toilets.

When I look at the insides of the toilet it looks the same as most any other toilet I've seen with a typical ballcock fill valve on the left side with a small hose that is attached to an overflow tube and a standard size flapper attached to the handle with a chain. So far the only way to fill the bowl up to the original water level is to hold down the handle to keep the flapper up while the toilet flushes and then fills the bowl to an appropriate level.
I've enclosed two pictures. The first shows the inside of my tank when full and the second is a side-by-side picture of the water level in the bowl. The level on the left is the current water level while the second shows the level if I slowly pour water into the bowl and let it come up to it's proper full level that we used to see.

Can anyone explain what's going on and how to fix this problem? Thanks!

IMG_20170712_104453298.jpg

Toilet Bowl Fill Lines.jpg

Replace the ballcock. The refill tube may not be providing adequate flow into the over flow to refill the bowl.

Well, I'm not sure what was wrong with the old ballcock but I replaced it with a new Fluidmaster today and it took care of the issue. In fact, I had to adjust the pinch clamp a bit because it was putting too much water in the bowl. In my experience the ballcock values simple break their seal at the top and spray water against the tank cover but this was not the case here. Anyway, it's fixed and I thank you all for your advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back