Please help this newbie. How to connect partiall broken drain pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootlegMrFixit

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I know very little about plumbing, but I truly need all the help anyone can provide.
I just discovered a problem at my parents house, under their bathroom sink. Apparently the drain pipe that sticks out of the wall and is usually connected to the sink drain pipe (the one with the J bend), has a 9-volt battery size chunk missing from the pipes edge, into the thread portion of the pipe. The amount of thread missing was causing the pipe to leak through the winged pvc nut. My dad cut a piece of heater hose, took off the winged pvc nut and tried to clamp the hose on the sink drain pipe end and on the wall/house drain pipe end. The problem is because there is a very small amount of the pipe coming out of the wall, the clamp can't tighten too much without caving-in on the space that the chunk of pipe is missing from. If I'm not giving a good enough explanation of the situation of the pipe, just imagine the drain pipe under the sink poking out 2 inches, then imagine 2 bites being taken out of an area near the bottom and the bites almost touch the wall. The heater hose would be a perfect temporary fix if the pipe was fine, but the missing chunk of pipe has me stumped on what to do. So, a friend sent me here to you guys, please help. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to avoid a situation of my mom yelling my dad's ear off about it, and my dad taking a sledge hammer to the wall to start one of his bootleg projects.

Thanks in advance,
Clay

Of course a pic would be best! The 2" protruding from the wall is threaded, right? If not it just might work to glue a slip fitting to the damaged part, if there is even 1/4 inch all the way around the edge that is intact. Otherwise, you may need to cut away the wall around the pipe to get enough access to cut and replace the broken part. If the wall is sheet rock, it's easily cut with a razor knife. Try grabbing the pipe (gently) with some channel loks or something, and see if it has enough give to slide further out of the wall.

A picture would really be the best, if you can.

In the meantime, what type of pipe is it that is broken? Black plastic, white plastic, copper, galvanized steel?

Thank you for the input. My dad beat me to the project, and it looks like the parents are gonna redo the entire bathroom during the winter (great!). I'm sure I'll be back to post another question soon. I am truly not looking forward to this. Thanks again for all your help everyone. Wish us luck!

Latest posts

Back