Please help. Not been able to wash my crack for a while now.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyfaria_163

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need help finding a push-pull knob for a much older shower I have. The problem is that the stem is inside a sleeve and all the new knobs at the store are a thick plastic piece that does not slip inside the old stem with the sleeve over it. The original peice that I took out was metal and all the new ones are plastic. I have pictures.

image.jpg

Frodo Is on it. It is a MOEN You can take a pair of needle nose plies and grab the notch on silver tube and pull it will come right out with out having to take off the cover plate. You may just need handle extension kit or the extension is on the handle you pulled out. Do you have a picture of the handle?

Are you talking about pulling this silver thing off. And I can get a pic of the handle tmro.

image.jpg

WOW!! Maybe Not a Moen :confused: tube looks just like a Moen.
Do you know what brand of fixture? maybe take off screw and a picture of valve.

That could be an extenstion on a Moen,

Last edited:
So this is the price that slips in over the stem and inbetween the sleeve/pipe.

image.jpg

This is the part I need that slips into the stem. All the new plastic ones are to thick

image.jpg

that looks an old moen with a deep rough extension.

see the cartridge keeper in the picture, on top of the valve body.?

pull the cartridge, if it wont come, buy a moen cartridge puller.

take everything you have to a plumbing supply store. NOT a hardware store

when you get there, look for a sign that says "counter sales" bust up in there. say hello to the plumbers drinking coffee, :D put the bag on the counter and tell the guy you want this replaced

OH WAIT WAIT WAIT>>>>>TURN THE WATER OFF FIRST. open a faucet to drain pressure

image (2).jpg

Last edited:
Uv never messed with this before and I just want to be 100% sure.... Plies it not my house.

Are you referring to the metal sleeve over the stem as the cartridge? When I pull the cartridge out will the stem stay put?

Moen Valve looks like this and cartridge in it. But the extension looks odd.

That is an old style moen handle for sure. That tube preventing you from using new handle should just pull off.

and if you look you can find all sorts of videos on YouTube on how to remove.
I would bet you have a Brass cartridge like the one I showed. Those often require a puller to get them out.

Moen shower valve.jpg

ImageGen.jpg

And sometimes they won't come out, and the center comes out, and the old brass cartridge is so stuck that you can't get them out. I had one a couple of months ago that I had changed out. Just for kicks I used a torch, penetrating oil, and just about every thing else I could think of to get the cartridge out, and never could. Keep in mind, this was a valve that I had out in the open, and could do anything to it I wanted.

Back