Please help- Chinese Plumbing Nightmare

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkjj22

Reaction score
Hi,

Moved to China with my girlfriend to teach, and have been provided with a pretty nice apartment, aside from the plumbing, which is spectacularly bad, and stinks the place up. Chinese plumbers it seems do not grasp any of the concepts of their profession, especially when it comes to traps and vents. No P traps to be seen, instead they use "Chinese traps" that are shallow traps, that rely on approximately 1mm of water to make the seal. And no ventining. Anywhere. Here are some pictures of what we are up against:

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_6705.jpg

IMG_6706.jpg

Uploaded those pics from my phone, sorry they're at funny angles and whatnot.

In the first picture I labelled 1-6:
1, The shower drain (no trap present inside)
2, the main waste stack pipe
3, our toilet
4, The bathroom sink (no trap present inside or out, just accordion tubing inside in a S shape)
5, The kitchen sink (no trap present inside or out, just accordion tubing inside in a S shape)
6, Pointless floor drain in kitchen

The second picture shows a close up of 1.

The third and fourth pics show the connections for the two sinks.

Can we fix this any way? With some form of venting and some proper P traps?

We are in a 1st floor (UK English)/2nd storey (US English) apartment, in a building with about 12 floors. Luckily (you could say) the piping is all exposed so we don't need to access any one ese's property to fix it.

Many many thanks, guys!

Rich

Last edited:
Hard to know where to start with this!
Are you saying you will be able to work on the PVC pipes outside? If so, you could add traps there. Of course, this will only be successful if the main stack has some sort of clear opening to the roof. Otherwise, traps would be pointless because toilet flushing will push and/or suck out the water in the traps. Same would go for the accordion pipes.
One question is about why they used the accordion pipe? Can you even get PVC pipe and glue products? I don't expect you have a Home Depot within 1,000 miles!
You may just have to get creative with whatever you can find. Hopefully you will be able to do a better job that the Chinese "plumbers" that came before you. If you can get longer pieces of accordion pipe you could make more substantial bends for traps. Maybe some wire to hold it all in place? Some expanding foam might be useful to seal the connections into the PVC.
If all else fails, you could get some flexible rubber mats to put over the drains when not in use. That would hold back the sewer gasses for the most part.

Back