Please explain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davery5872

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I got up in the morning and noticed it looked like my shower had backed up. I ran some water and everything seemed to drain fine. Went through the day and nothing unusual. That evening I started the dishwasher and both the bath and shower backed up (two seperate bathrooms) and both toilets were not flushing. Seemed to have a main waste line clog between the house and street. About ten years ago we had to have the main waste line cleared due to tree roots and this seemed to be the same thing. After a few minutes the water drained out of the tub/shower and the toilets seemed to be OK. Later that night I got up and the was about a inch of water in the tub and shower and the water in one toilet was almost overflowing (the other toilet was fine). After a few minutes the water went down. I went out of town for a couple of days. When I returned I did not use the toilet, but took a quick shower and everything seemed to drain fine. 4-5 hours later there was water backed up into the tub and shower and one toilet was again almost overflowing. After a few minutes the water drain out and everything looked fine. I think I have a clog in the main waste line, but I do not understand how the drains will seem to work but will then back up hours after using the tub or shower. And I don't understand the different water levels. There will be an inch of water in the tub, but the toilet right next to it will almost be overflowing.

Back