Plastic Water Supply Lines in FLA?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrg_99

Reaction score
Got a call from my Sister in Law this evening. The woman who takes care of her vacation home in Boca Raton called to tell her the bottom floor (its on a slab) was flooded because one of the toilets water pipe had burst. The last time anyone had been in the house was last week. Today the landscapers called this woman to tell her water was gushing from the front door.
Needless to say, my sister in law is beside herself wondering just how bad the damage is.
The plumber mentioned something about a plastic pipe bursting at the toilet. I know the supply line from the shutoff valve to the toilet tank is one of those spiral metal wrapped hoses like they use on washing machines. Could the supply line upstream from the toilet shutoff be plastic? Does anyone know if FLA allows that?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as we wont be able to go to the house to actually see the damage until this weekend.
Edit: The house was built in 1997 and I don't think there is any PEX tubing in the house (at least I haven't seen any).

Last edited:
Plastic water piping is very common here in FL. The most common type is CPVC. It is a creme colored stiff plastic. Then there is PEX, which can be a variety of colors, though white is most common. Another type is polybutylene, normally gray in color. The last is no longer installed, though I see a good bit of it in existing houses.

phishfood,
Thanks so much for your reply, they are so upset about this any information I can give them helps.
I doubt there is PEX tubing as I haven't seen any in the house and I think (?) the house is too old for it.
Would polybutylene have been used in a house constructed in 1997?
Thanks for your help.

If plastic water distribution pipe is permitted in your jurisdiction then great. If not then you have an illegal install and should change to copper. I'm an inspector in CA so your local licensed plumbers will know. After your investigation what did you find? What failed, where and why? Good for others to know.

Latest posts

Back