Pipes under garden

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uk1982

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I live in a newbuild home and I used one of these screw-in metal spikes to screw into the grass in the back garden to hold the whirligig up.

I screwed it in (after a few failed attempts in various parts of the garden) around a year ago and the whirligig has been solidly in place ever since.

However, every time I look at it I worry that I could have punctured some kind of underground pipe without knowing? The gas and electricity meters are at the front of the house so I'm guessing it would just be drain/waste pipes at the back? The spike is 58cm long and I reckon about 54cm of it is in the ground with 4cm or so sticking out the top.

We've had no issues with drainage, no foul smells, no water pooling etc. so I'm assuming everything is ok but I can't help but worry (I'm a panicker 😬). Is there a standard minimum depth for back garden pipes at all? Screenshot_20210221-135122_Samsung Internet~2.jpg20210125_105348.jpg

Pipes can be pretty much anywhere depending the situation. A lot of possibilities.

You’re correct in thinking the spike could puncture a pipe or wire.

Ask your local plumbers and building g officials about typical pipe/wireplacement in your area. It all might be really deep.....

Here it’s shallow.....

Thank you. Do you think I would know if I'd punctured a pipe when I did it last year or not necessarily?

Latest posts

Back