Pipe size for high BTU range

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeb

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my kitchen and bought a 6 burner Wolf range. The instructions state that I need 3/4" pipe to the wall, but can use 1/2" hose for the last 3' connector. Of course I wasn't told this when I bought it, and it turns out I have 1/2" pipe. I went into my crawl space and see that I have a 1" pipe that has a "T" which then becomes 1/2" pipe for about 12' to the range. So my questions is this, if the last 3 feet are 1/2" flex hose to the range, why can't the pipe be 1/2" too? The 1/2" pipe is a dedicated line to just the range. The Wolf representative says their specs required 3/4" pipe because that is the only way they have tested it. And a plumber that came by also recommended I upgrade, but of course that gives him extra work. He quoted me $1700 in time and material to remove exiting pipe and replace with new one, which does require opening up a drywall to access it, but that seemed very high. To me it seems like the 1/2" hose is a choke point anyways, so what difference does it make if the pipe leading up it is also 1/2" rather than 3/4". I need to make a quick decision since after the kitchen remodel it would be an even bigger cost to replace it all.

The 1/2" pipe will not have the volume of gas necessary to run that Wolf Range. I made the mistake (once) of running 30' of 1/2" black pipe to my fireplace logs, and the gas just trickled out. I had to resize just for the logs, and that doesn't have 1/10th the gas requirement that you will need.

nat gas

1/2'' is for fire place log lighters. outdoor grill,

3/4 is for a single,, heat unit, oven,cooktop,dryer,wh

1'' is for 1 each, heat unit,oven,cook top,dryer,wh,fireplace

good rule of thumb to follow with out doing calculations

I'm upgrading my kitchen and bought a 6 burner Wolf range.

The instructions state that I need 3/4" pipe to the wall, but can use 1/2" hose for the last 3' connector. Of course I wasn't told this when I bought it, and it turns out I have 1/2" pipe.

They (the seller) are not obligated to tell you how to plumb as in most instances codes require installation by a certified plumber. The plumber will make the calculation(s) and determine final plumbing subject to code, manufacturer's instructions and local AHJ.

JUST REMEMBERED-

You have to figure the correct regulator for the system also...

Last edited:
They (the seller) are not obligated to tell you how to plumb as in most instances codes require installation by a certified plumber. The plumber will make the calculation(s) and determine final plumbing subject to code, manufacturer's instructions and local AHJ.

JUST REMEMBERED-

You have to figure the correct regulator for the system also...

99.999% of the time the manufacture will provide the regulator with the unit
vry rare e have to,

Some more info

I'm in San Diego CA. It's the Wolf 6 burner. It has 5x15000btu and 1x9000btu, plus 30000btu range and 18000btu broiler. In addition my house has a 34000btu water heater, gas dryer, gas fireplace, and gas furnace. The 1/2" pipe for my range T's off from a 1 1/4" main pipe about 8' from the main gas meter. It's about a 12' run of 1/2" pipe straight to the range.

So I took the advice to try it and see if it works before replacing it. I hooked it up using 1/2" supply line (http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...-1-2-in-O-D-60-500-BTU-CSSD44E-48-X/100634421). Is there a better supply line that I should be using than this?

I haven't seen a Wolf range in action so it's hard to tell if it was working exactly as expected. I'm guessing that even with 1/2" pipe with only one burner on it should work at full BTU, right? When I turned on the first burner it appeared to put out some serious heat. I was able to turn on all 6 burners without any decrease in output. I was then able to turn on the oven without any decrease either. I then decided to turn on my gas fireplace, dryer, water heater, and furnace, and I still didn't see any decrease in the range top output. So running my house with every gas source on didn't seem to have any impact on the range top burners.

So to me it seems like I should be OK with what I have. Is there any reason I shouldn't save the $1700 I was quoted to upgrade to 3/4" and just stay with what I have? Is it against code or are there any safety concerns with using too small a pipe? I know it doesn't seem to follow all the theory of pipe size vs length, but it appears to be working unless there is something I'm overlooking.

thanks for all the good education and advice

I decided to try it with the current 1/2" pipe based on a recommendation.

Some more info

I'm in San Diego CA. It's the Wolf 6 burner. It has 5x15000btu and 1x9000btu, plus 30000btu range and 18000btu broiler.

In addition my house has a 34000btu water heater, gas dryer, gas fireplace, and gas furnace. The 1/2" pipe for my range T's off from a 1 1/4" main pipe about 8' from the main gas meter. It's about a 12' run of 1/2" pipe straight to the range.

So I took the advice to try it and see if it works before replacing it. I hooked it up using 1/2" supply line (http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...-1-2-in-O-D-60-500-BTU-CSSD44E-48-X/100634421). Is there a better supply line that I should be using than this?

I haven't seen a Wolf range in action so it's hard to tell if it was working exactly as expected. I'm guessing that even with 1/2" pipe with only one burner on it should work at full BTU, right? When I turned on the first burner it appeared to put out some serious heat. I was able to turn on all 6 burners without any decrease in output. I was then able to turn on the oven without any decrease either. I then decided to turn on my gas fireplace, dryer, water heater, and furnace, and I still didn't see any decrease in the range top output. So running my house with every gas source on didn't seem to have any impact on the range top burners.

So to me it seems like I should be OK with what I have. Is there any reason I shouldn't save the $1700 I was quoted to upgrade to 3/4" and just stay with what I have? Is it against code or are there any safety concerns with using too small a pipe? I know it doesn't seem to follow all the theory of pipe size vs length, but it appears to be working unless there is something I'm overlooking.

thanks for all the good education and advice

I'm in San Diego CA. It's the Wolf 6 burner. It has 5x15000btu and 1x9000btu, plus 30000btu range and 18000btu broiler.

add the above numbers together

So I took the advice to try it and see if it works before replacing it. I hooked it up using 1/2" supply line (http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...48-X/100634421). Is there a better supply line that I should be using than this?

what is the operating btu rating on this hose?
that is clearly marked ?

My recommendation is for you to have the gas piping upgraded for your oven, and that a licensed plumber does the work

You are right Frodo, the BTUs of the range/oven combined is almost double what the supply hose is rated and what the 1/2" pipe should be able to supply. I've looked at several sites that claim it won't provide enough gas and it would starve the range. However, when hooked up it works.

Redoing all the pipes is another $1700 plus inconvenience of opening up a lot of drywall. If I was building from scratch it would be a no brainer. But I already have the 1/2" pipe and it works.

So, if I keep it as is are there any risks? Is there a safety concern? If it works now is there any reason it will have issues later? I know in electrical for example if you wire gauge is too small for the amperage it is a fire danger.

my understanding is, if starved for gas, the oxygen fuel mixture at the burner is not correct, causing

a build up of carbon monoxide, you cant see it, you cant smell it

you just drift off to sleep. your insurance does not pay off because piping is not correct.

your wife sells the house to pay bills works 2 jobs, your daughter starts dating some guy named Wolf

and your son gets a job as a bartender at a strip club.

him and Wolf become friends, talk your daughter into dancing.

we wont get into your wifes new boyfriend's problems, lets just say he spent

5 to 10 years "on vacation"

107172015.GIF

Why don't you call the gas company (I myself use So Cal Gas Co) and have them analyze your output and verify everything is safe? I've used them a dozen times and they never charge for this service.

Back