pipe sealant

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meamjw

Reaction score
I would like to know the type name of the brick red sealant that is sometimes applied by makers of fittings. It is not sticky to touch but never seems to dry so much to be ineffective.

Permatex also carries a complete line of gasket making material which is brick red in color.

Gasket maker sets up. What the op is describing is very similar to rectorseal #5 but red instead of yellow or I guess regular pipe thread sealant.

Thanks to all of you have submitted an opinion.
Phishfood, I tend to think you might be on the right track because after I posted the question I learned that Loctite has about five variants that sound like they might be what I'm interested in. I haven't yet tried any of them but plan to buy one at a time if I can find them locally.

What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can tell you exactly what you should use?

Chris,
I am assembling high flow hoses, fittings, regulators and gauges for use with a DeVilbiss HVLP spray gun. DeVilbiss says do not use Teflon tape because pieces can break off and clog passages. So I figured the stuff I sometimes see pre-applied by the factory would be perfect. The color has no significance to me. I assume it is just for identification. The only requirements I'm interested in are: not sticky and will not dry so much as to become useless.

I would go with a regular pipe thread sealant or rectorseal #5 but the rectorseal expands just a bit so you will have to do a clean job and make sure you don't put any on the end few threads so it doesn't make its way into the inside. Both of those don't really set up and will stay soft. and will be easily cleanable if you ever need to take it apart.

Back