Pipe Leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ncramer09

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Pretty general question here and not necessarily looking for specific, but rather thoughts how/why/where a pipe may be leaking.

I redid my master bathroom, on second floor of two story home. Started about 2 months back give or take (so all summer). Did everything, new toilet, sink, flooring, baseboards, etc... Only thing I left alone was the shower (standing shower, no tub).

Took a couple months to do, and didn't shower or even run water in that time. Prior to starting we took a shower daily in there.

Yesterday I take a shower for the first time since finishing and come down after and my ceiling below (in the kitchen) is leaking. Already have brown water stains in one spot, and the water was coming through the light fixture (nearest hole for water to escape).

Any thoughts why the shower, or rather pipes, would start leaking now? And it doesn't seem like a slow leak but rather a steady leak/stream. Does it make sense for a pipe to burst, even though it's summer? Does it being dry for so long have some adverse effect?

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Ps toilet and sink are not contributing, just the shower. And I've checked the pipes behind under the panel and no water.

Did you change the shower head and arm? The back end of the shower arm is a rather common place for a leak to occur when it is initially installed or during a changeout/remodel.

Back