Pipe dope on flare fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
The instructions with the flex gas connector states no sealant. Is this no sealant on the actual flare and the threads or just the flare?

The one I removed had dope on the threads of the flare fitting.

I have read no dope, dope on threads and dope on the actual flare. Was just curious the practices of the professionals.

Thanks.

No dope on a flare joint period. If the threads on the male end of the connection go all the way to the end of the fitting/pipe, use pipe dope. If the threads do not go to the end, no dope because the seal is not made be the threads and the dope may interfere with the seal.

p.s. Who is "MayfairPlumbing" and why do they always want pictures even on questions where pictures would not add to the conversation?

Last edited:
No dope on a flare joint period. If the threads on the male end of the connection go all the way to the end of the fitting/pipe,

If you talking about screwing a male end of a flare fitting into a female pipe fitting that is the wrong application. I have seen where someone uses a female pipe X male flare adapter screwed on to a male flare end of a gas rotor valve to change from a 1/2" flare to a 3/8 flare without having to replace the valve. that is wrong. Although with plenty of dope and it works some times.

p.s. Who is "MayfairPlumbing" and why do they always want pictures even on questions where pictures would not add to the conversation?

R2D2's cousin

Last edited:
Back